How do you make a website like this?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by piatti, Jan 15, 2012.

1. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

A website that look like this where there is table of contents on the left and the contents on the middle without the need to press a button to go to the next section in the table of contents, but rather, simply scroll down? http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/xpath.html#xpath-tutorial

Currently I don't know anything about making a website. Is there a way to make this kind of website without substantial amount of money going into it?

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

An easy way is to Google "website tutorial". You'll find results like:

How to Set up a Website

and many more sites which will either teach you how to do it, or (like the one above) simply point you towards commercial hosting sites with premade templates to use.

Good luck, have fun!

3. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

The best way to learn HTML/CSS/DOM is to read this website and follow the tutorials :

W3 schools

This will teach you proper techniques that are standards compliant rather than many tutorials which do not adhere to the W3 standards and will require adjustments for many varying browsers.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

A fixed column, with anchor links to different portions of the page?

I'm pretty sure Dreamweaver has a template for this already built in. That is, if you have CS

5. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Is Dreamweaver the best way to make a website? I want to make a pleasing attractive website that is very navigable.

6. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

As a user of dream weaver myself, I would have to say. Having the program isn't going to teach you how to build the site. You still will need to know CSS, HTML. There may be templates but they are very basic. Dream Weaver is the front end software, you really need to learn what's going on in the background.

7. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

What is the best way to learn CSS and HTML? W3 Schools?

8. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I'd like to know that myself, I don't know a lot of it but I get assistance from my friend who help me with the hard parts of my website. He learned by google and looking at sites source code that he liked. You could take classes in school as well.

Also if you want a decent site you might want to learn photo shop for your graphics, there is a lot to that as well.

9. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

HTML for dummies? I learned my basic HTML out of books. Very helpful.

10. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Just to follow up so you understand.

you can build a website using notepad, a very good website. I know people who build using notepad++.

Dream Weaver is just a fancy front end to your websites. It organized them, uploads them to your server(host), error checking, compatibility checking and stuff like that. You can probably get a free trial from Adobe to check it out.

11. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

I built my first website using notepad. It was crappy, but it was fun. I especially enjoyed playing with color codes.

12. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

Time. Dedicate an hour a day, and set small targets for each day. Don't do anything else during the day, as if the internet didn't exist outside of a few tutorial sites. As if you were in school (and were a good student).

13. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I do most of my updates on my site with notepad. Just quick and easy. I don't think I would build one that way though.

14. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

Maybe not overall layout, do that with notepad++ and PHP :p Generation of HTML, either way, still have to learn HTML, then CSS. Maybe jscript.

15. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

That's what I was thinking I should do to accomplish my goals including website making. How do I come up with the self-discipline though.

16. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Glad you mentioned js and PHP as well. There are so many different things. I think the best bet would be to find an entire source package for a site he likes somewhere and just play with it on his desktop. Change colors, maybe some spacings and change some CSS code (one thing at a time, and see what it does). Nothing like just digging in and learning.

17. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

How do I find the source package?

18. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

Set a goal? Find some time? Do gaming/news/forums on a different computer/user account? I dunno, really. :( It's true, the hardest part. I was just lucky I loved 3D animation, otherwise, I would of never found the consistant time.
    Hmmm... I guess a wierd way to intro him would be Joomla, lol. It does have HTML/CSS templates, and it does seperate it, for the most part, from the PHP coding...

19. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I am sure there is stuff out there. I have a couple of sites that aren't anything like the one you listed, I could zip them up and send them to you.

Minus the hundreds of photos of my daughter, if you're interested.

The other site is just a template for future stuff.

20. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Please do zip them up and send them to me.

21. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I will try to get it to you today or tomorrow. I might be fairly busy tonight, we will see.

22. gramirez2012 macrumors 6502a

HTML anchor tag.

23. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Is there a way to edit the existing CSS for Blogger blog so that it has the format of the site in the OP?

24. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

ok, sending a PM to you now, with explanations.

25. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

piatti,

Let me know you got my PM and downloaded the files, I am going to remove the links from my server.