How do you manage music on your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mailliw, Jul 16, 2008.

1. mailliw macrumors member

I've always had iPods that have been able to hold all my music collection (only about 25GB), but obviously since getting my first iPhone, I'm limited to 16GB. I'd be really interested to hear how you all manage your music.

At the moment, I'm only syncing selected playlists, all of them "automatic" ones. Recently Added, Songs Growing On Me, Faves Not Played For Ages, etc etc. It works fine, but I'd just be keen to see what others are doing.

Best

Will

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i have playlists that i update frequently and sync them. i have tons of smart playlists by my favorite artists. i have a Recently Added playlist. i have some album playlists, and some random ones i make and name the playlist as the date i make it. its real random for me as to which ones i sync, its more of a what do i feel like when i sync day

3. cantankerously macrumors regular

No playlists, I just have about 10GB of full albums on it.

4. mailliw thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to end up doing.

5. 2WheelsGood macrumors newbie

From the main sync page in iTunes, I check the box that says "only sync checked songs." Then just remove the checkmarks next to any songs/albums you don't want to sync. Works beautifully.

6. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Playlists, but since I don't have over 16GB of Media, its kind of a moot point.

Someday I will, but 16GB is enough.

7. pauld macrumors regular

I imagine sooner rather than later there may be a VNC equiped app that gives people full access to their home iTunes over wifi, thus rendering iPhone storage capacity with the constraints and headaches of smart playlists (somewhat) irrelevant!

8. honeycrisp macrumors regular

I made a playlist of my 2000 most played songs.

9. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

I like having synced playlists but to me there's one big problem.

Let's say I create a "Recently Added" playlist to sync with my iPhone/iPod, when I go into the "iPod" section and I click Recently Added playlist it shows me all the songs in one list.. what I wanted was the possibility of sorting the items within my playlists by album or artist instead of having to scroll through a huge list.

Does this bother anyone else or is it just me?

It makes my playlists highly inconvenient, all I wanted was a sorting option like, let's say you browse by genre, you enter a genre and you see all the artists. It's much more practical seeing 12 artists than showing you a 265 song list (without even showing which Artist the song is from), the same logic applies to what Apple made with iPhoto 08 and Events, 2500 photos = 50 events. It's a "no-brainer" to me :)

BTW, my library is at least 50 gigs in size... which makes "music discrimination" mandatory :)

10. mailliw thread starter macrumors member

I really wish the iTunes Remote App could stream the music ON the iPhone and not just the PC/speakers (which I don't have at the moment!). Seems so logical to me...

11. elistan macrumors 6502a

I wish the iPhone had an "Auto Fill" feature like the Shuffle.

12. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Playlists are king!

Thats why I only opted for the 8GB, as I never filled my 1st gen 8GB, got a free 3G iPhone, and saved £59! Im a winner all round.:D

13. pauld macrumors regular

Looks like simplify media will be doing a non-jailbroken compatible version:
    http://www.simplifymedia.com/blog/?p=47