how do you manage your bootcamp installation on the mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dp84, Oct 13, 2010.

1. dp84 macrumors member

Hello,

Yesterday I created a bootcamp partition and installed Windows 7 64bit (only for gaming).

After the installation Win7 had already identified all the hardware, except the Bluetooth adapter (but i seen the drivers in the Windows Update) and the video driver (same as the bluetooth).

Then I put in my OSX DVD and installed "bootcamp software". It installed various drivers (chipset, video, bt etc.).

Now my question is: are this the correct method or maybe is better install only the missing drivers, after a clean OS install? Because now I can't uninstall ATI drivers (the are 10.7 rev.), I have not the CCC (for adjusting some setting, i.e. forcing v-sysnc) etc.

2. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

The way I always do it is;

Install Windows
    Update Windows
    Install Boot Camp
    Manually update graphics drivers to latest available on their site.

The drivers that come with Boot Camp are good, but the manufacturers ones are always better and will (hopefully) improve performance.

3. seek3r macrumors 6502

That's what I do with one addition, I've learned to pull the HFS+ drivers in Win7. I don't know about anyone else, but I can consistently make the Win7 bluescreen with those drivers by mounting then unmounting a drive formatted with HFS+.

4. dp84 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you

It's exactly what I did, exept the last point.
    So it's not a problem install the last ATI drivers above the bootcamp video drivers? Maybe It's better use DriverCleaner before?

5. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I never had a problem with that. The ATI driver should be better. Do not use unnecessary cleaner software.

You should check in hardware manager if all drivers have installed properly.

6. dp84 thread starter macrumors member

great ;)

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get a new drive or partition an old one in Disk Utility.
    Put in Windows DVD and reboot.
    Boot into Windows DVD and install.
    Install BootCamp drivers off disk and reboot.
    Install Windows updates and reboot.
    Install the latest video drivers to maximize video performance.
    Enter preferences to set my OS X boot as the default.