How do you manage your files in iCloud Drive?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Philsy, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Philsy macrumors 6502a

I've been looking at using iCloud Drive to give me access to all my documents from all my devices, which will be nice to be able to do. However, it seems that I am going to need to change the way I manage my files.

At present (like most people, I suspect), I have folders for individual projects, such as Widget Project, and in it I have Pages, Numbers, PDFs, JPEGs, all relating to that particular project.

This works fine on a Mac but with iCloud Drive if I want to access, say, a Pages document on my iPad, I have to open Pages, go to iCloud Drive and download the doc when it then appears at the top level of my Pages files on the iPad, as well as remaining in its original folder in iCloud Drive.

Any changes I make to the document are quickly updated to iCloud Drive, as expected, so that all works fine.

The problem is, I then have an extra copy of the file sitting in a different location on iPad Pages. I have found that I can delete this without losing the original in iCloud Drive but if I have to keep doing that with every document I open, it's going to become a bore.

I guess the obvious solution is to place all the Pages documents straight into the top level Pages folder in iCloud so they are directly accessible from Pages on the iPad, but that means I lose my neatly organised file structure.

How are others dealing with this? I'd be interested in reading some suggestions.

Thanks.

Phil

2. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

I'm still struggling with the flow as well but it appears you can store the files in any file/folder structure that you want but an alias is created in the Pages folder. I was thinking of this as like a recents. You can tell the difference by creating a test document and saving it in the Pages folder and opening another document in a different folder. The alias has greyed text while the one stored in that folder has color.

3. Philsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. You're right, it is like a recents list - the problem the items in it won't drop off so we'll end up with a very full folder!

4. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

I was using Dropbox and had drop box in the Dock using Stacks/List.

I am setting up folder/files exactly the same way in iCloud drive but it won't let me drag iCloud drive to the dock.

Anyone figured out a way to place iCloud drive in the dock??

And as for your question, I am not (so far) planning to use the folders in there and keeping my organization as it was. Just basically drug everything from DropBox to iCloud drive which worked great.

It just won't seem to let me drag it to the dock!! :mad:

5. Philsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

You may not be able to put the iCloud Drive folder in the dock but you can create aliases of the folders within it and drag those to the dock. Almost a solution...

6. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

OK, thanks. That's what I thought based on trial and error but was hoping I missed something. Thanks for your reply!!!