All iPads How do you manually get books onto iPad after iTunes update in Mavericks?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrXiro, Nov 6, 2013.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Besides syncing my library automatically is there a way to drag and drop books into the iPad now? They took away the books tab in iTunes and I can't drag and drop from the iBooks app.

2. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

You can sync books to your iPad by clicking your iPad's name on the left pane of iTunes (menu bar, view, show side pane) and then choose to sync books on the right pane.

3. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

How about manually? I don't like syncing movies and music and it looks like I am forced to if I sync books. Anyone know how to manually manage books like music and movies?

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I just upload them to Dropbox and then download them onto my iPad from there.

5. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

You can also email them to yourself.

6. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Interesting... So you will need a workaround to manually manage books now? No way to drag in?

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

What kind of books?

iBook and Kindle purchased books sync over the cloud, so no need to drag and drop.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't actually know, as I use Windows to sync my iPad. However, since you said you couldn't find a way to drag them, I just thought I'd suggest a workaround. I hope you do find a way to drag them, because I agree it'd suck if that function is gone.

9. bobright macrumors 601

Nothing's changed for me I can simply sync within iTunes by selecting all eBooks or certain titles I want when selecting that tab

10. Powrie macrumors 6502

Go to edit, preferences, put a checkmark box under books.

Then you can open books through your library and add files to your library.

After that, go into your iPad though iTunes and tell it to sync books.

11. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

This is all handled by the iBooks application now (applications folder). Any documents and books you add there get uploaded to your iPad when you sync with iTunes.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But OP does not want to sync books, he wants to manually manage them.

13. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Yeah. I wouldn't mind syncing if it wasn't all or none... I don't mind syncing my playlists or albums but I like having my videos swapped out often. I take new eps of stuff to the gym or sometimes keep a movie on my iPad for months. But now I need to sync everything if I want just want to swap out books. I mean I don't have THAT many books where it's an issue. But I do have THAT many movies.

It's weird that they would get rid of manually managed books.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What do you mean it's all or nothing? Unless iTunes for Mac works totally different from the Windows version, you can pick and choose which books / videos to sync.

15. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

The syncing part is just the same and you can choose which books you want to sync to your iPad as usual.

16. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I meant sync all or manually manage all (the nothing part)... but you can't manually manage books now so if I want to manually manage my videos I won't have books as an option unless I use a work around I guess... or I will have to sync books/videos/music. Even though I get to pick and choose from the tabs it's kind of a pain as I ripped all my DVDs (like 200+) onto my iTunes so it's a bit of a hassal to dig through.

----------

You used to be able to manually manage books. That's what I did. I dragged and dropped them onto my iPad from the Books tab before. I only like syncing my music, really.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What I do with videos is make a "sync video" playlist, and add / delete videos there as needed. Then, in the movies tab, I set it to sync just that playlist.

18. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Oh yeah... good call. Thanks!