Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Think

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
I'm still learning the way OSX works and would greatly appreciate some help guys:

I've got an older Lexmark X5150 Inkjet printer connected to a PC over my LAN. I wish to connect to it remotely with my Macbook Pro. The Macbook Pro did not come with the x5100 series drivers installed so I had to go to Lexmarks site and download the driver. Unfortunately the only download they provide is an installer package. When installed it allows me to connect the printer directly via USB and it works fine, however I'm not sure how to get it working over the network.

In the Print and Fax area of the System Preferences Pane I'm able to browse the network and find the printer, but when I select it the driver does not appear in the drop down list, auto-select is greyed out, and I'm not sure where to point OSX to if I click the "Other" button.

Help! :)

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I'm finding that a lot of Printer manufacturers drivers work fine in OS X if directly connected to the system, but shared or networked printers are a different story. I have a brand new Canon that prints fine when connected, but won't print when attached to a Time Capsule.

You can see if it installed the driver in ~/Library/Printers

-Kevin

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... When installed it allows me to connect the printer directly via USB and it works fine, however I'm not sure how to get it working over the network.

This is both well-known and expected. You cannot use a USB driver to communicate with a Windows-connected networked printer. You have two alternatives:
  • From Windows, share your printer as a generic PostScript (LaserWriter) printer. Use your Windows machine as a print server and use Apple's PostScript driver to access it.
  • Use MacOS X's built-in CUPS facility and a driver as part of Gutenprint or LinuxPrinting to communicate with your printer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.