how do you maximize a window ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anonymous4a, Dec 19, 2013.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

Hi, is there a keyboard shortcut to maximize a window right after you've minimized it ? The keybaord shortcut for mimize is command and M . But is there a way to reopen that window ? I don't mind taking up the whole screen, just the same size as it was before it was minimized .

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

OS X behaves differently from Windows in many ways, this is one of them.
    OS X does not use the term "Maximize", as the response to the Zoom widget is somewhat different.
    I will say no, not in the standard OS X finder.
    If you have minimized a window, it's in the Dock. Click on the icon for that minimized window in your Dock to return it to its previous size and position.

Another method is to click and hold on the app's dock icon, which will show you a submenu with all windows, minimized or not. Choose the one that you want to return to the screen.
    I know that's not a keyboard shortcut. What kind of shortcut would you expect, if you had more than one window minimized, and from more than one app at the same time?

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I'm certainly not a "power user" but I'm curious about how you would do this in the Windows OS with the keyboard only. I always use the mouse to get an open window back up from the taskbar. What if you have 3 applications running, and two or more files open from each?

4. OliviaM-T macrumors newbie

Not sure if this is what you mean... but using alt-tab on a minimised window will bring it back up, at least on windows 7.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Close. How do you tell it, just using the keyboard, which minimized window is the object of your desire? (especially if there are two files in the same app that are minimized)

On a Mac, you can of course use Command-Tab to cycle through open Applications. But if the only open window in an App has been minimized to the Dock, you still have to use the mouse to view it.

6. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, something like the ALT + tab command for windows where you can switch through different running applications . There is no keyboard shortcut for Mavericks that you can switch through minimized applications in the dock ?

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, yes; that's what I just posted above. Command tab will cycle through all the open applications, but it will not open minimized windows. It will make a different app the active application. As has been noted above, you'd have to have a way of telling the computer which of several minimized windows of a single app you are interested in maximizing. That doesn't seem feasible to me, thus not being able to do that even if only one window is open in an app is completely logical.

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Maybe I'm missing something but in my Mavericks Command-tab cycles through running apps and opens the active app window (whether minimized to the dock or not), Command-` cycles through the active app's windows (or cycles through apps in reverse order to Command-tab if the selected app only has a single window).

That seems to cover it for me??

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I failed to note that my post applies to my Stone Age OS: Leopard.

10. gamegurunaga macrumors newbie

For anyone using 10.5 and up, RightZoom will max out windows with options to do it every time or by key press. Enjoy!