How do YOU meet new people?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by RLSkyDive!, May 14, 2008.

1. RLSkyDive! macrumors newbie

Having recently moved to a new area, I am having problems thinking of places to go or things to do to meet new people! For as long as I can remember I have always hung out with the same general group of close friends so I guess I never HAD to just go out and meet a few new people to hang out with like I do now.

I have met a great group of people at my skydiving dropzone, the problem with that is where I live the dropzones are few and far between and people tend to drive sometimes 4++ hours from all directions just to jump at that particular dropzone and I have yet to run in to someone that lives within 30 minutes of me.

So I'm just curious as to how you all meet new people.

2. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Well, I'm only 16 (17 the 31st!) and most of the people I meet are at school.

Usually when I think something involves social interaction, I just act like the stranger is a good friend of mine and I'm perfectly comfortable around them. I've found that being laid back when meeting new people is the best way for ME to meet new people.

3. RLSkyDive! thread starter macrumors newbie

I hear ya, I just graduated high school, which was a very easy place to meet people. I'm 18 and majoring in funeral services (nothing like the 'typical' funeral director though!) - I am a very funny, well rounded, adventurous, "out there" type of person, and I am usually the loud one in the group and never afraid of trying something new.

Meeting people in my classes at the community college is difficult because most of them are your typical dead-beat quiet funeral director-type person, either that or they are ghetto thugs, which kinda of isnt my thing. I get along great with people I just meet, meaning I'm not shy with them. I just don't know where to go to meet new people! Learning this area is hard because its some what big/busy. Just wondering if anyone has recently gone through this and has some good tips. Thanks though!

4. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

That sounds exactly like me =P

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I meet lots of new people.

Unfortunately, as a volunteer driver for the Cancer Society, they are not always in the best of health.

6. n00basaur macrumors regular

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Chatrooms. I'm a 21 year old nursing student from Boston who has been feeling a bit down lately.

8. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I've met a lot of cool people in college, on different jobs, as well as random car clubs I'm in. Usually if I'm sitting next to someone for more than 5 min, I'll try to strike up a convo. It usually goes pretty good from there.

9. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

usually in my lab in a body bag ;)

or my lab colleagues

at the dept socials which happen once a term - we have a huge dept, with over 100 faculty, 200 grad students and 600-800 declared majors.
    so knowing everyone is virtually impossible...

I have met a couple of friends in bookstores and at starbucks

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

With a coy smile.

:p

I don't know.... around. Met a couple good friends on Macrumors actually. I'm a bit cautious with people for good reason so I might not be the best one to answer.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

At the moment I'm not! It's easy at college or uni. Met loads of great people there, but I graduated a year ago and have basically worked from home doing freelance graphics/music ever since.
    Planning on getting a real job soon and finally meet some new folk.

Also met some mad people whilst dog walking (dogging! no...), there's one guy who also takes his parrot for a walk too. He's like a pirate but from Yorkshire and has an Alsatian too. Big jazz fan.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well that's a given. All pirates that I know love jazz.

I'm now a 26 year old woman who loves leather, whips, and 19 year old boys with fast expensive cars. Love. Long time. Call me.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

All depends on who you want to meet.

If you want to meet some nice cops and doctors, you can always chew an Alka-seltzer and run around a park nude.

14. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

15. melissarae macrumors regular

melissarae

hmmm.... where and why would one go to school to become a funeral home director? they actually have a major for this? interesting....

16. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Mortuary science? I know a friend that went into this field.

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'm usually at the 3G iPhone thread, but saw this on the forum spy, and wanted to say hello and cheer you up.
    Hopefully this video i'm compilling about the 3G's specs will help :)

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Usually I just say hello.

I've also met a lot of my friends out in bars and clubs, slept with them, then made friends with their friends. It's a little slutty, but effective. ;) BTW- always carry protection. :)

20. 7on macrumors 601

7on

ditto

21. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Same. I've had more bad experiences with other people than good.

Same... but there's no ":cool:" about it for me. They meet me for the wrong reasons ... :eek:

22. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I can be really shy at times, so I've met a good percent of my friends 1) from Pre-K and from my boyfriend. That or school.

The ones I haven't meet from school or from friends of mine were from volunteer work, :) like a long term care facility, old people are cool. or lacrosse

23. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I just take my normal seat at my local watering hole. It is a rule that anyone who sits next to you in a bar is bound by law to have a conversation. ;)I am always nice, I have met some really cool people that way.

24. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

Generally, I don't meet new people. Seems like grad school and the impending medical school routine has made finding time to make new friends difficult. My wife and I mostly keep to each other's company, and spend a lot of time together but doing our own things.

I used to meet a lot of people through school, through local art shows or venues, or occasionally at shops I frequented. I met my former bassist and drummer in a guitar shop one day.

I don't care to use the internet, seems disingenuous, and at the minimum disappointing when you realize that internet personas are a lot like resumes: they bend the facts to appear marketable, to so speak.

25. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Well, one way is Social Networking.

Isn't that great but you can meet friends through it, and your friends can introduce you to friends and so on.

I've met a few people through Myspace.

And things like this are good opportunities :) Even if it's a bit of a journey, you might meet some people who live nearish to you.