How do you migrate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by apple-pride, Aug 25, 2013.

1. apple-pride macrumors member

How can I transfer all of the data from my MacBook Air to a new MacBook Pro of I want to switch laptops?

2. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Do a Time Machine backup of your current Mac on an external USB disk. Plug the disk into your new Mac. Turn it on. Answer a few quick questions. Come back later, the new machine is configured exactly like your old one, same arrangement of desktop icons, everything.

This has worked almost flawlessly for me when moving to a 2011 MBA and now a 2013 MBA.

4. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

If you have the ethernet to USB adapter, use ethernet with Migration Assistant...much faster. Also, unless you are restoring from an Air to an Air, you will not be able to use a MBP TM backup to restore a MBA (at least I wasn't able to).

5. apple-pride thread starter macrumors member

So I have to buy something? :/

I was hoping for a cloud based solution. :/

6. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

IIRC, you can use wifi and Migration assistant, but if you are transferring more than a couple of gb's, it will take a while.

7. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Migration Assistant and Target Disk Mode. You just need a CAT6 cable aka gigabit ethernet cable, Thunderbolt cable, or USB cable between the two systems and you can migrate from one system to another with no loss and selective restore.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Like Ron said... if both systems are on the same wifi network you can transfer everything over using Migration Assistant. Depending on how much personal data you have to move over though, this can be somewhat slow. If it is just a few GB it won't be too bad.

Run the below command in Terminal and it will show the amount of data in the user space you need to move over.

Code:
    du -sh /Users/

9. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I used Migration Assistant and moved 90GB in three hours when I set up a new MBA last year. Definitely not the end of the world... Otherwise you need two MDP to Ethernet adapters - 1 for each machine.

10. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Well you should buy an external drive so you can make regular backups of your computer anyway. Are you backing up your computer at all now?