How do you move items on the Desktop?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pyr0sphere, Jul 9, 2008.

1. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

So I've seen a lot of desktop screenshots, where folders/files are on people's desktops are not vertically aligned toward the right side of the screen

A lot of people are able to move these icons to, say the left side of the screen, or even align them horizontally?

I can't seem to do any of this. Is third-party software required? Or am I just missing something?

Leopard 10.5.4 btw

2. ColinEC macrumors 6502

You could right-click your desktop > Arrange By > and then choose one of the options.

After that straights and aligns your icons, just highlight them all and move them to whatever side of the screen you want.

You can also right-click and hit "Show View Options" to change the way the icons are labeled.

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    What do you mean? Just grab it and drag it where you want it. :eek: :confused:

4. pyr0sphere thread starter macrumors regular

I can't drag the items to anywhere I want. They are stuck on the right side. I can drop the individual icons anywhere in that column ie I can move one underneath or on top of a specific icon

I can't however, move any icons outside of this column

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Right click on the desktop, then Show View Options, under that choose Keep arranged by None.

Attached Files:

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

From the desktop choose "View" in the menu bar and then choose "Show View Options". On the bottom choose Arrange by none from the drop down. Now you can move item around.

7. pyr0sphere thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect. Never would've found that

Thanks guys

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Arranging things by snap to grid might work as well, keeping things a little more organized than None.