How Do You Open Files From An Sd Card???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by o0BenMc0o, Feb 9, 2010.

1. o0BenMc0o macrumors member

I have recently got a new imac and it has an sd card slot at the side. I have a hd camcorder with an 8gb sd card. When I put in in the slot it recognised it and when i double clicked it it came up with a load of files that have a black background with green lettering inside. When I open them i choose an application and it just says 'Unreadable Files'. I want to inport the video files to iMovie. Any idea what going on?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What kind of files are they - what is the extension on them? e.g. file.mov ...

3. o0BenMc0o thread starter macrumors member

When I open the sd card there are lots of different files on there with different extensions here they are - .MRK .TDT .TID .BDM .MPL .CPI .MTS

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't know what files are the actual video files. What kind of camera is it?

5. o0BenMc0o thread starter macrumors member

6. htg macrumors regular

did some quick research, basically none of them are video files apart from the .tid file, which is a video format created by panasonic. As for your mac being able to read the .tid file, I'm not sure.

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Check if your camcorder is compatible with iMovie. Videos are imported to iMovie through a USB/FireWire interface typically, you should also check if the camcorder has a PC connect mode which will allow it to appear correctly.