How do you open the case latches on a white iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blueroom, Aug 17, 2011.

1. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I've tried for ages to use an old credit card through the rear vent and I've never even felt something move. I've watched several videos and the iFixit tutorial and just can't get the knack. I saw some fellow with a magnet trip the lever but I don't have a magnet that strong.

2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

I don't quite understand what you are trying to do. Remove the rear cover? If so that is not how it's done. There are three captive screws on the bottom panel that you loosen to remove the cover. The only Mac I know of that is taken apart with a credit card is a Mac Mini. Did you mean Mac Mini?

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

He's dealing with one of the iMacs that the front comes off, not the back.

OP, what I've had great success doing to get that off is stick the credit card in at an angle, pointing basically towards the front corner of the machine, then once it's fully inserted, slide it towards the side of the case while straightening it out so it's now facing the front of the machine. The latch should pop open.

If you're still having trouble, you can lift the case from the bottom out until you can slide a small flathead screwdriver or a plastic spudger up from the front and hit the latch from that side. It's trickier, but if you're not having any luck from the back, it might help.

jW

4. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles