How do you operate when you're *docked* at a desk - multi montitor, etc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chefwong, Oct 14, 2008.

1. chefwong macrumors regular

In a ideal working setup (I would be running the new MBP) via dual flat panels on my desk . Wireless mouse and keyboard would be ideal but not a deal break. Docking station would be even sweeter....

I'm a big fan of the MS Natural Keyboard (no flames intended) and have been using it for years....

On my current operational setup, this is exactly how I have it expect it's a pc variant. I dock when I get into the office, with my dual Eizo screen, Corded MS Natural Keyboard 4000 and BT mouse. The setup works for me....and it's a very productive day.......

When I'm away...I'm mainly using the laptop in laptop mode...but it's then mainly catching up on emails, web, project management stuff...etc.

For all you power users out there, any suggestions on a prospective PB owner. I was hoping the new release would support true dual monitor support in some fashion, even it their dongle had Dual DVI ports on.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Eh? Sorry I don't follow.... Why you need a "dock"?

3. chefwong thread starter macrumors regular

The MBP as I can see in the current release does not even support dual external monitors.

ie:, I have 2 external monitors on my desk. When I dock, it automatically does my dual view preferences to both monitors at 1900x1200 resolution.
    When I undock, it automatically goes back to the screen resolution of 1440

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

So what exactly is your question?

No powerbook/macbook pro/new macbook pro can nativly support dual monitors. At most, only the 30 inchers (and the 2x inchers for the new editions).

But I think their solution for "docking" is as good as its going to get. You plug your peripherals into your monitor and you plug in your monitor+hub into your ACD when you get into the desktop mode. I never really saw this as a solution until they touted it as such today.

Relatively ingenious, but all in all a cheap and ineffective solution to an annoying problem.

5. ibejohn818 macrumors newbie

You'll have to use some sort of converter box to drive multiple monitors on the MBP. You can only connect a single external monitor to the MBP.

Here's a picture of my everyday cave....... If i update i'm gonna have to move all my ***** cords to the other side, and being OCD, this is gonna take some getting used to....:mad:

Attached Files:

6. avalys macrumors 6502

If you get a MacBook Pro, you can get ExpressCards that allow you to connect a 2nd external monitor.

7. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

i would think the update would make it easier especially for you.
    since all the cords are on the left side it doesn't interfere with your screen.
    this is my setup but i changed to a bigger flat panel monitor
    [​IMG]
    i am annoyed how i have cords coming from both sides. i plug in six cords now.
    audio
    power
    both usb
    gigabit internet
    display
    and firewire for a couple other random things which would make 7

8. ShukuenShinobi macrumors newbie

I currently have a setup where my external 19" monitor acts as my main monitor, and my open Macbook Pro acts as the 2nd, with a Bluetooth Apple Keyboard (old style) and a Bluetooth Kensington Mouse. Been using it for a while now and I love it.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You could always use the new MBP in the closed clamshell mode, have it wedged or mounted on a vertical stand - shouldn't have any problems accessing the ports or the superdrive. As for your display, you can always buy a higher resolution display and use that instead of two?

I dunno.. just a suggestion.
    Anyway, I just hook up my MBP 2.2SR to a 30" and I'm set for almost anything!!

10. chefwong thread starter macrumors regular

I was hoping the Apple would provide at least a dual DVI dongle.

I would prefer not using the MBP as my 2nd screen.
    And we are running hi res - 1900x1200 dual 27" screens FWIW.