How do you organize Spaces?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by miamialley, Jan 7, 2009.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I'm new to Mac and am not sure how I'd like to utilize Spaces. How do you guys organize using Spaces?

Is there anyone who doesn't use Spaces at all?

I only found one other short thread on this, curious to hear more ideas.

2. Hurd111 macrumors member

Well, I usually have mail in one space, safari in another, and itunes in yet another, and just click on the itunes/mail/safari icon to switch between.

3. TechAge macrumors newbie

If you are one of those people who have multiple applications open, then Spaces is good for you for organizing so that your main desktop won't be look like it's about to explode.

Spaces is one of the applications I commonly use at work. I use 4 spaces: one for mail, one for remote desktop, one for records, and one as my main desktop window.

4. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

I have 4 spaces total. In my first one I have Safari and Mail set to be there. iTunes is in the second and I always have the window open so I just click the icon or birds eye view it (hot corners FTW) and I can change songs fast. Word and Pages is in my third spaces and I have Parallels in my 4th so I can switch from XP to OS X like *that* :p Oh and also I have iChat in all of them.

5. jive turkey macrumors 6502

I have 9 spaces set up, but really only use a few of them (I went with 9 just in case I needed overflow).

Space #. . .
    1: apps I don't use daily, but do use semi-regularly (textedit, Word, Pages, etc)
    2: mail
    3: ical
    4: web browsers
    5: excel/numbers
    6: Dreamweaver

All spaces: Adium, Finder, iTunes, Quicktime

To switch between spaces I use Control + space number.

I find that in my work, unless I am trying to watch a video while doing something, I rarely need to have two apps showing side-by-side. Using Spaces a lot allows me to have virtually all apps expanded to full screen size, which helps a ton in iCal, Excel, and web browsing.

6. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

You can either manually drag the applications to the space you want them in, or you can of course set a default space for the application to open in. It really is up to you and what you think will work best for what you do. This can all be set from the System Preferences (under Spaces & Expose)

I personally have a 6-space setup (3x2)
    1: Mail / iCal
    2: Webkit / Safari / Firefox
    3: Office / iWork / Crossover for Office '07
    4: iTunes
    5: Transmission / Limewire / misc.
    6: iChat / misc.

I use Command+[space # or arrow] to navigate, since the keyboard on my MB has command on both sides of the space, but not control, option, etc. It is nice to be able to navigate spaces from either side of the keyboard one handed...

Spaces is by far the feature I love most about Leopard and the one I use ALL the time. I hate the way OS X minimizes windows (the one thing where I for sure like the way windows does things), and keeping them all up gets really cluttered, so Spaces has been a godsend. Only used Tiger for ~2 months, but I have to say that I will never go back to it mostly because of Spaces...