how do you organize XCode windows ?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Tex-Twil, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    I'm a developer used to work on Linux using Eclipse. I'm learning Obj C development in my spare time and I have a question about the XCode layout. Basically I don't know how to set up XCode to work efficiently. There are too many windows and I have to switch constantly with cmd tab between
    - main windows with my code
    - console
    - debugger
    - Reference library

In Eclipse everything is visible at once thanks to "Perspectives".
    - when coding you see the code + Reference + workspace paths
    - when your start debugging the layout changes to code tab + variables values + function call stack

I don't want to reproduce the Eclipse behavior at all cost, I just want to know how are you used to handle this.

Thanks,
    Tex ;)

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

I'm used to handling this with multiple really big monitors. It's really frustrating now that I'm working on a 13" laptop instead of a Mac Pro with dual 30" LCDs. :cool:

Just to verify, have you played with the verify first option in the Xcode preferences dialog? You might want to try the "All-In-One" layout.

Regardless, I still wound up having a lot of windows open. Lightning quick access to Exposé is your friend (hot corners or extra mouse buttons).

3. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

yeah I guess that on a 30" you have a more space :)

The All in one function looks very good ! thanks,
    Tex

4. Stratoukos macrumors member

The way I work with the console and the debugger I always open and close them with hotkeys (console: cmd+shift+R, debugger: cmd+shift+Y or the little spray icon that shows above the text editor when you reach a breakpoint). So, I hit cmd+R to run the program and if I want to check the console I hit the hotkey. When I'm finished with the console I hit cmd+w to close it, so the main window plus any editing windows I have open stay always on top. With this and expose mapped on an extra mouse button I have no problems at all.

As for the documentation, I too solve this with a second display. If you don't have one you can try to put it on a different space, but I guess that after a while switching constantly between spaces could become tedious.

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I only have a single 15" display but I use hotkeys for opening the console and running the program, and showing the debugger when necessary. Haven't given it a second thought in forever, just is natural now.

6. mongrol macrumors regular

I use the all-in-one layout option. When running the code I have the option set to switch to debugger/console layout. To switch back from that I press cmd+o (or is it 0?)

Seem's to work quite well.