How do you organize your apps?l

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Active, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Active macrumors newbie

I have a lot of apps and have trouble remembering what they all do. I am a teacher and have them listed by subject. But I am looking for another way of doing them.

How do you organize apps on your iPad?

2. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

There's 2 ways that I'm forced to use (until iOS 4.2 appears and I can use folders), and neither are very good; alphabetically page by page or thematically page by page. And yes, I still have trouble keeping track of which app does what.

Sorry couldn't be of more help.

Tom

3. canada eh macrumors regular

I organize them by how often I use them and whether I payed for them or not. Whether it is a "temporary app" or "permanent app" depends on placement, the temporary ones are ones I will use once then take off kinda deal.

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

My husband tried to keep his alphabetized; at around 100 apps, that proved to be a pain whenever he added on to the device. His iPad is currently utter chaos, my my standards. LOL

Prior to jailbreaking, I went with the "categorize by page" method:

Dock: six apps used every day that I wanted to be able to access no matter what. "Settings" was docked as I need it all the time for changing brightness, etc.

First page was all apps that were used on a daily basis, but didn't need to be in the dock.

Then a page of Games, one for Reading apps, one for Utilities, etc. At six pages, it was unwieldy. It's also not a great method if you have a "category" with say, just three apps or more apps than fit on one page--you just end up with lots of extra pages that way, and there's often an app that doesn't fit. And, of course, there's no way to label your pages with any type of information that might help you find anything. I hated it, and hated it even more once I had an iPhone 4 with folders--though Apple's Folder limitations are pretty ridiculous--12 apps total per folder? How many Games folders will most people need with that? And you can't nest them.

Finally I jailbroke both devices and added the Categories app to them. Now I have just one Home page on each, with folders like Audio (streaming apps and utilities like SoundHound/Shazam), Photography (photo editors and uploading to Photobucket), Travel (navigation, maps, tools for air travel like Gate Guru), even a Cooking folder to handle the growing number of cookbook apps. Finally, the iPad feels more like a useful tool and less like a royal mess. No regrets.

If you can't or won't consider jailbreaking, when 4.2 comes to the iPad, you can do the same thing, keeping in mind the folder limitations listed. In the meantime, I'd say keep on with the page method, but perhaps use a Notes app to record a title/category list to keep track of what apps do and what page you've stored them on?