How do you organize your apps/launch pages?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Good4Another, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Good4Another macrumors newbie

About a week ago I got a little annoyed at my icons moving around when new apps were added (or accidentally moving them myself) and having to flip over a number of pages to get to an app i needed. I took it upon myself to logically organize them but it took awhile to come up with what I think is an appropriate system and was wondering what others do in case there are some better ideas out there I hadn't thought of. Please share how you organize your apps and launch pages.

Just in case anyone's curious about the way I did mine... I made the first page apps that are absolutely critical, apps that I'd want to have at an instant after whipping my phone out (like the camera app to catch something in action that may be gone if it took too long), and apps that are used very frequently. Basically I have ipod, calendar, clock, camera, evernote, jott, settings, IM, google, maps, a voice dialer, rss reader, sports score app, VNC, and a couple others along with the phone, sms, mail, and safari in the dock. The next two pages are apps ranked by a combination of frequency of use and the need to be able access them as quickly as possible. 4th page has some reference type apps, things that don't need particular speed or that get used too frequently. 5th page is entirely games. 6th page is some apps that I'm just testing out, very seldom use but don't want to not have them when I need them, and some apps I can't delete that I don't ever use (contacts, notes, weather, stocks).

2. siorai macrumors 6502

First page: Filled with blank icons and I only have the phone icon in the dock. I like things minimal.
    Second page: Apps.
    Third page: Games.

I don't feel the need to have dozens upon dozens of apps and games installed on my phone. I keep only what I need on the phone. Certain apps and games get cycled on and off from time to time.

3. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

too hard

i find it too hard to organize my apps. Atm i have the stock first page with the addition of swirly mms but apart from that its all just random.

I tried using categories but it made it too slow to access varius apps and i couldnt be bothered putting new apps into folders so i got rid of it.

4. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

First page: most important stuff. 2nd page applications, 3rd page applications 4th page games.

5. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

My apps are organized in ascending order by date purchased.

In other words, I haven't re-ordered them at all.

6. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

First page: essential apps.
    Second-third page: AppStore apps (except games) in alphabetical order.
    Fourth page: game apps in alphabetical order.
    Fifth page: built-in apps that aren't essential (stock, calc, notes, youtube).

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

First page is standard stuff. Second is utilities/social stuff like mobilenews, airsharing, AIM, quick graph, etc. Third is games. Fourth is crap that didn't fit into the first 3 pages.

8. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

I like to have the first page set to Apple's factory defaults.

The second page consists of applications/bookmarks.

The third page contains all my games.

9. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

10. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

After trying a bunch of different methods (from date of purchase, too type of app, even color coded) I find that simple frequency of use is the best.

The first page are apps I use more frequently, the second page less frequently, the third even less frequently, and the last almost never but still good to have when I need them.

11. BFrench macrumors newbie

I try every once in a while to order them. It starts out as I need this and this here on the first page and then this and then ... oh who cares, fill in the holes. If there is something I am always flipping to another page for, I shift it to the first page. The only things I really care about are SMS, Safari, Contacts, Phone, Mail, iPod and Facebook are on the front page. Everything else can just sort itself out. My dock has iPod, Mail, Facebook, Phone.

Actually, a background process that watches what apps you use the most and shifts them to the front would be nice (with an option for never ever ever move these apps). That way I could just not care at all.

12. Sebby macrumors 6502a

+1

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I organize by what I use the most. The apps I use the most are on my first page. I don't even have 2 pages filled up, so organization isn't that big of a deal for me.

14. yalag macrumors 65816

I organize them randomly. That way I can spend the most time looking for what I need while on the road.