Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
use to have a thread with screenshots on how people organized their apps.....can’t seem to find it

lately I've had some difficulty finding my apps on my pages. I have 3 or 4 pages of apps that I'm constantly flipping through trying to find a certain app. I havand folders on page 2,with misc stuff on page 3. I’m sure there is a better looking and a better organizational method out there.....

what's the best way you've found to organize your apps to personally fit your needs?

Reactions: PeterJH3

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I organize my app in a mix of folder and frequency of using them. First page mostly used. Second page less frequently used. Folders if apps from a certain company or belonging to one category are too many (such as social).
I keep my total app count low so I can spare more storage for music and other general billst.

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
use to have a thread with screenshots on how people organized their apps.....can’t seem to find it

lately I've had some difficulty finding my apps on my pages. I have 3 or 4 pages of apps that I'm constantly flipping through trying to find a certain app. I havand folders on page 2,with misc stuff on page 3. I’m sure there is a better looking and a better organizational method out there.....

what's the best way you've found to organize your apps to personally fit your needs?
The other apple forum has a whole thread on that.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
My home screen has only the top row with most apps, along with the dock. I like to see my photo in the back ground more. Then after that, folders on the other pages.

PeterJH3

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I never alter the stock home screen. I love using a crisp and clean iPhone that appears as if I just got it for the first time every day. The next pages hold only apps that use 3D Touch alphabetically. Finally, the last page is the only page that has folders with a few apps in each that are leftover.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Anyone looking at my phone would say they are random... but there's an order and a reason things are the way they are... for the most part, things are laid out the way they have been for many years, because, well, muscle memory is king... stuff I use all the time are on the front page, some single apps, some folders... page 2 is almost totally folders of less-frequently used apps grouped by type (sports, weather, apple stock apps, travel related, etc).

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Page 1 - apps that I use everyday. Not within any folder, for easy and quick access.

Page 2 - some within folders according to categories, some just like that because either they don’t fall in any category or I want quick access to them.

Page 3 & 4 - mostly folders arranged on the basis of use frequency.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Organised chaos.

Page 1 & 2 are most used. Page 3 are grouped folders + recently added Apps that I'm testing. Page 4 are games.

Dock consists of Spotify, Google Maps, Chrome & a purchased Weather App.

Last edited:

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
All of the stock / other Apple apps on the first two pages (not completely filled), and the last page alphabetical (also not full).

I probably have 8 apps that aren’t from Apple.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Pretty standard, most used apps are on the first page; of those the ones I use the most in the dock. On the second page the not so often used, but still important apps are on the first few rows, and after that it's folders all the way down. Every app I have on the phone has been launched, and used in the past month or so. If that doesn't happen, the unused app likely gets the boot.

When I got the X I spent a good while culling apps I didn't ever, or very rarely used, and that was a good thing to do.

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
I spend way too much time thinking about this and arranging everything so it's perfect for me. I have a strict "1 page only" rule. I hate having more than 1 page because the extra pages just wound up becoming unorganized messes for me in the past. It really forces me to think about what apps I use most and need to be the most accessible. For example, there's just no reason for App Store and Settings to be outside of a folder like they are by default.

Top 2 rows: Folders, named by verbs/actions instead of categories (Learn, Play, Travel, Work, etc). Naming my folders in such a manner really changed things a lot for the better for me. It's much easier to find my apps. The exception is my "Other" folder (top right corner since the only reason I ever go in there is for the app store and settings) which contains the default Apple apps I rarely use along with other rarely used apps that don't really fit into one of my other folders. The folders are at the top since that's harder to reach when only using one hand.

Bottom row/dock: Communication apps - Phone, iMessage, Mail, and WhatsApp

Everything in between: My most used apps, arranged by type of app and with the most used positioned closer to the bottom left corner (easier for a left-handed user to reach). There are no folders in this area.

I also use Launch Center Pro, to directly launch actions within apps as opposed to just the apps themselves, which makes it much easier for me to stick to my "1 page only" rule.

Last edited:

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
one page, four alphabetical folders, apps alphabetical within. core communication apps in dock, not alphabetical but by core phone-ness task from left to right

41061697871_f366d0cf19_c.jpg

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

I have a Note 8 but I do it in the same way. Just put them in folders like all entertainment in one and etc. If I use it frequently I would leave it out of a folder and on the dock or the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.