How do YOU organize your iTunes?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SirStrumalot, Mar 5, 2011.

1. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

Just wondering. I have a ton of music I ripped from CDs, but never really got around to organizing. Any software you guys use that can find album covers/album etc.. and update stuff?

Just wondering... Tips and suggestions welcome!

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

iTunes does this now. Go to the Advanced menu and there is Get Album Art and Get Track Names. On the rare occasion iTunes doesn't have an album cover I just use Google Images.

3. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

In most cases iTunes finds the cover art. If it isn't found by iTunes, I scan the cover at a reasonable resolution. From time to time I look for it online, I use iTunes since many years and not all covers have been imported along with the songs.

4. SirStrumalot thread starter macrumors 6502

What about album names? Is there any way to get these updated?

Also, thanks for the tip about iTunes... I didn't know it could find the artwork.

5. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

The CD and tracknames are also searched for online by iTunes, you have to be connected to the internet when you import a CD. That used to be a problem in the early days when internet wasn't on all the time.
    To download cover art you'll need an account in the iTunes store, to find tracknames your computer just needs an internet connection.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

After getting increasingly annoyed with low bit-rates, crappy track titling and flakey album art, have come around to the conclusion that it's best to do this properly... and just the once because I'm not going to do this ever again in my life.

Currently working through about 1300 titles, this may take a year or two, which goes as follows:

• Properly rip the CD in XLD to AIFF and Flac according to private tracker standards, fixing track titles and other info pulled from CDDB, double-checking against Discogs

• Reimport to iTunes, then using a selection of Doug's AppleScripts to clean up track titles

• Convert to Apple Lossless within iTunes

• Re-edit playcounts (because some playlists need it) using another of Doug's AppleScripts

• Scan cover and clean up in Photoshop using a combo of manual and batch editing, save master at 2400x2400px. Titles that have missing or damaged artwork are pulled from mega-search.net, with the best highest-resolution results usually coming from allcdcovers.com and coverparadise.to

• Add cleaned up artwork to each track at 1200 x 1200px

• Tag each processed album as 'Archived' in Comments

• Store Flacs and scanned artwork to archive folders to eventually get burned onto archival media, which hopefully will be Blu-Rays at some point in the next couple of years.

Everything done so far sounds and looks great. This is about as future-proofing as much as anything. Also helps to have a two terabyte drive. :)

7. polkunus macrumors member

Have any of you guy used anything other than iTunes lately? Other competitors caught up and iTunes looks and feels last gen.

The reason why I'm brining this up is because organizing music in iTunes is a hassle :/

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I was thinking of doing that but all these years I've been using iTunes (both on Windows and now OS X) and it took a long time to organize 3974 songs and I don't plan on doing that again with another program. Regardless if it "feels" last gen, iTunes does what I need it to do, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But I'm interested in other people trying and seeing if they're getting good results.

9. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Sometimes itunes pisses me off but I've spent a lot of time organizing tracks, rating songs, etc in itunes so its just not worth it to switch. Plus it would just be a pain to sync to my iPad, phone, and pod with anything else.

10. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

I have a 37GB library and iTunes only found less than 10% of the artwork.

Ive never got round to downloading the imaes from google. Maybe one day.

I keep my library on a different drive to OSX. If you play around with moving/organising its worth making a clone of the drive. iTunes is easy to use but even easier to mess up.

11. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Sorry for hi jacking your thread.

I thought iTunes users may help me out. I am trying to organize my library. There are information (genres, track #, year, etc) that i want to delete. It will take a year if i do it one by one. Is there any way i can do it all at once? I've been searching for hours and the closest thing i found is this website (http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts09.php?page=4)

iTunes is very difficult to use. When i click more Get info in iTunes; it will show up the info but when i navigate to the actual file and click Get info; it doesn't show as much as info in iTunes. When i was using PC... i can see all information from clicking the actual file.

12. iBrody macrumors 6502

To get rid of the same info i.e. year, genre etc, just go to edit, select all, right click over the page and select 'get info' then delete the info from the fields you don't want.

You could just go to view options and untick the bits you don't want to see in the itunes window.

Not logged into my mac at the mo, but both should work.

13. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I've heard good things about Tagalicious. It will find all the metadata automatically, and I've read it is very good at finding accurate information as well. It's in the Mac App Store.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I prefer manually adding artwork from sites like Album Art Exchange. They have higher quality artwork than iTunes will download. I also don't let iTunes manage my files. I prefer my own folder/file structure to iTunes' method.

15. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I've never been very happy with how iTunes (via Gracenote) identifies genres. Most of what I like gets flagged as "alternative and punk" even though that is usually not the case. I almost always end up relabeling the genres based on my own knowledge, and if I'm not sure I use resources like last.fm and look at the tags to see what makes better sense.

16. SirStrumalot thread starter macrumors 6502

All this is very informative. Thanks for all the suggestions and no worries about hijackings :)

17. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

Same here.:)

18. SirStrumalot thread starter macrumors 6502

Has anybody actually tried Tagalicious? Any comments on it? Can't find any video reviews, and I don't want to spend $20 on it without any idea of how well it does what it claims to do.

19. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

THANK YOU! It works! I was thinking i may need to do it one by one!

20. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

iTunes finds it automatically! And you can have it organize by song, artist, album.. or genre.

21. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

There's a trial version available allowing you to tag up to 50 songs (I think) for free