How do you pass Audio to your TV?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mmoran27, Mar 24, 2009.

1. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

I tried hooking up my macbook to my TV.

So I figure I hook it up (displayport to DVI). I have a cable that does DVI to HDMI.

Ok so the picture works.

Then I plug The audio cable (from the headphone jack) into the back of the TV.

No sound! Turns out that is only for PC input using the VGA connector.

Without having to go through a receiver, how do you get sound to the TV? I guess it either expects toslink from receiver or sound to come though HDMI.

2. bossxii macrumors 68000

Yep, the downfall of no HDMI out creates this issue. The TV has to select which input it's taking in audio/video. However with DVI out to HDMI we are hosed as we cannot transmit sound so other than running sound to a receiver the TV can't take video from one input and sound from another :(

Only way to make this work is to get DVI to component, as the component inputs on a TV has 2 RCA style jacks or an Optical sound jack. HDMI is worthless for sound out of the Macbook line.

3. whitefang macrumors 6502

DVI cannot carry an audio signal. Since you're converting from displayport to DVI, the audio signal isn't carried.

To connect your MBP to the TV (assuming you have a modern TV), use toslink connection. The macbook pro's headset port is also a mini toslink port. So get a minitoslink to toslink cable (or adapter).

4. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Why don't you get a DVI-VGA PC video connector, and then your audio hookup will work. I'm using a previous gen MBP, so I just used the included DVI-VGA connector and a VGA cable. Worked like a charm on a Sony 52" Bravia HDTV.

While on this MBP-to-TV subject - does anyone know how to get the Apple remote that came with my laptop to work with FrontRow, and how to get FrontRow to access my iTunes library for use with the TV? Thanks.

5. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

That's a great set! :cool: