How do you paste a picture?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by C00KiE, Jun 5, 2009.

1. C00KiE macrumors member

C00KiE

How do I copy and paste a picture to a forum? I highlighted the image and click copy, then I go to the forum and click paste, but there's nothin':confused: What do I do? Thanks!

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Click on the paperclip button on the top of the reply window.
    Find the image you want to add and upload it.
    [​IMG]

3. C00KiE thread starter macrumors member

C00KiE

It's not downloaded to my computer. I seen the picture on a site and I wanna copy it.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

if it's a large image change the tags to:

[plain][img]url[/plain]

5. C00KiE thread starter macrumors member

C00KiE

Omgosh how do i do that. I use the computer everyday, but i don't know these little tricks.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Depends on the browser some. An easy way would be to right click on an image and choose Properties (Firefox). This will bring up a window with the URL for the image. For Safari you can select Copy Image Address. My Firefox also has that option, but can't remember if that came from a add-on or not.

7. C00KiE thread starter macrumors member

C00KiE

I have safari. i can't find "copy image address".:confused:

8. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

rightclick on the picture

9. C00KiE thread starter macrumors member

C00KiE

I don't have a right click. My laptop has one button.

10. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

hold down control on the keyboard and then click. you may want to configure secondary click in your system preferences in the future

11. C00KiE thread starter macrumors member

C00KiE

geez this is confusing. Ok so i held down control then clicked the picture, but it didn't highlight. So I had to move the mouse in order for it to highlight. Then what?

12. C00KiE thread starter macrumors member

C00KiE

Something must be wrong w/my notebook cause i didn't highlight it, i just dragged the mouse on the pic and held control (apple Button) and nothing happened.

13. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i dont think that the apple button is the control button. thought the apple button was the command button

14. C00KiE thread starter macrumors member

C00KiE

Well I also tried the control (ctrl) button and nothing.

15. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

what apple notebook do you have?

edit: nevermind, send me a link to the website that has the picture on it. i will save it and email it to you

16. C00KiE thread starter macrumors member

C00KiE

17. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

PM... click the link. then in safari hit file and save as...

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

19. C00KiE thread starter macrumors member

C00KiE

20. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Lol so much confusion

To save images to the computer, click and drag them onto the desktop or a folder.

To put an image on a forum like this, you must add tags to the beginning and end of the link pointing to the image. These tags look like this:

Code:
    [img ] http://mroogle.*************/MRoogle.gif[/img ]

[timg ] http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs41/f/2009/021/9/a/New_Moon_wallpaper_by_ryu001.jpg[/timg ]

EDIT: Sorry, this code box isn't working like it should. I had to put a space between the tags and the closing brackets: ] Just make sure there is no spaces when you type it out

notice that the tags go on each end of the URL, the tag at the end needs a slash as shown. Seems complicated at first, but it's simple when you get used to it.

To get image URLs, open safari and hold control, then click the image. This will be just like "right clicking" and should display some options. Select "Copy image address".

In Firefox, select "Properties" and a window should pop up with some information in it. One of the things it should say is "image location" and will give a URL, highlight that, and copy it. (apple key+C button)

Place the URL in between the img tags as shown in the grey box above. As stated by someone else, adding a T to the tag (as my second example shows) is for larger images. What that does it make a thumbnail or small version of it on the forum so it doesn't take so long to load. Anyone who wants to see it full size can click on it.

Since you linked to newmoon, I used a newmoon wallpaper as one of the examples of a large image. I will post the exact same code as above in the grey box at the bottom of this message, so you can see how they look when you do it

This is an example of a smaller image with the normal IMG tags
    http://mroogle.*************/MRoogle.gif

This one is much larger than shown, I made it smaller by putting TIMG tags
    [​IMG]

21. C00KiE thread starter macrumors member

C00KiE

i.shaun, I've tried to drag it to the desk top but it flies back to the picture. I knew i should of took those classes at apple. I'll try again later.

22. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I should also add that on the internet, not everything works the same.

This forum uses simpler codes designed for forums. These are called BBC codes, and are what we showed you for images. Some forums may not support certain codes, and some may even use HTML which is a little different.

Here on MacRumors, there is a wide range of BBC codes available, and you can automatically place them by clicking the buttons above the text window as you type.

For example. look at the icon that looks like a yellow card with a picture on it. Click on that, and a window will pop up asking for the URL of an image. You put the URL you want in there, and it will automatically type out the code for you. Unfortunately I don't think it knows the size of the image, so it is up to the user to make sure the timg /timg tags are used to scale down large pictures like I did above.

23. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

You want the picture of them standing together right? I just tried dragging it and it worked. Are you sure you dragged it all the way to the desktop? If I don't put it past the web browser window it will fly back to the page. It also happens if I drag it to an application that doesn't allow images to be drag and dropped

You say it's a laptop, so maybe you're accidentally letting go of it as well