Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ranchdip

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I've bought my first ever 17" hi-res MBP (Delivery March 21st:confused:). I thought the new Vaio AR series computers were so nice because they had Blu-ray writers installed for the same price as my new MBP.

How do you guys plan on watching all these great hi-res HD movies on your MBP?

Download, external blu-ray players, jump drives, itunes..????

I want to show off my new MBP hi-res glossy with a full HD resolution movie!

johnnyi08

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2008
Even if you get the HD Movie in You cannot watch it in high Def you need a high Def screen to watch high def movies.you will get the same quality as normal movies. I think that the 17" high Resolution Screen supports High Def movies but i stand corrected if i am wrong.

Regards

Jonathan

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Even if you get the HD Movie in You cannot watch it in high Def you need a high Def screen to watch high def movies.you will get the same quality as normal movies. I think that the 17" high Resolution Screen supports High Def movies but i stand corrected if i am wrong.

Seriously - some people need to learn about HD before spraffing about it!

There is two forms of HD, 1280x720 (720P) and 1920x1080 (1080P/I). All Apple laptops are capable of displaying 720P.

If you watch a 1080P movie on a screen that has a resolution lower than required, the movie will be downscaled to fit the screen. As all Apple laptops can do 720P, the movie will effectively be downscaled to the quality of 720P.

High Definition came about because we have huge TV's, yet awful broadcast resolution to go with them. But, that doesn't mean that HD can look staggering on a laptop. It will look better on your laptop than on your TV (if you were at the same viewing distance) because the laptop has more pixels per inch.

Watching HD on a laptop will look staggering. You will be able to sit with it on your lap and experience extremely high detail, compared to the awful resolution of standard definition.

To answer how people will get Blu-Ray Disc movies onto their Mac, there is Blu-Ray drives for Mac's out there but they are pretty expensive. Rumours say that Apple was to include a Blu-Ray drive in the new MacBook Pro's, but Sony had troubles with the slot-loading drive including all aimed capabilities.

Schizophrenic

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Seriously - some people need to learn about HD before spraffing about it!

There is two forms of HD, 1280x720 (720P) and 1920x1080 (1080P/I). All Apple laptops are capable of displaying 720P.

If you watch a 1080P movie on a screen that has a resolution lower than required, the movie will be downscaled to fit the screen. As all Apple laptops can do 720P, the movie will effectively be downscaled to the quality of 720P.

High Definition came about because we have huge TV's, yet awful broadcast resolution to go with them. But, that doesn't mean that HD can look staggering on a laptop. It will look better on your laptop than on your TV (if you were at the same viewing distance) because the laptop has more pixels per inch.

Watching HD on a laptop will look staggering. You will be able to sit with it on your lap and experience extremely high detail, compared to the awful resolution of standard definition.

To answer how people will get Blu-Ray Disc movies onto their Mac, there is Blu-Ray drives for Mac's out there but they are pretty expensive. Rumours say that Apple was to include a Blu-Ray drive in the new MacBook Pro's, but Sony had troubles with the slot-loading drive including all aimed capabilities.

Thanks for the info. :)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
What is required to watch these? Anything extra?

Depends on the file format. Most HD content you can get through "other ways" is .mkv format. Perian plugin for QuickTime will play these, but I've had problems.

Best player for playing anything is VLC - just plays it and asks questions later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.