How do you plug your guitar into the iPad 2 to use GarageBand?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by maf2k8, Mar 15, 2011.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

This may sound stupid, but then again Apple doesnt give much instruction on this ( it simply says plug your guitar in )

So i have a 3.5 to 1/4 audio cable, So i plug my guitar directly into the 3.5 jack on the top of the iPad 2 ( which i am going to assume is probably audio out only ) and nothing happens when in Garageband ( guitar )

I assume i had to purchase one of the many devices out there they allow you to connect your guitar to your iPad but just wanted to make sure.

As stated on the Garageband screen it simply says, plug in your guitar, so thats what i did...

What do i need to do? It has amp sims and effects sims, so i dont think i would use the internal mic and just mic my guitar cab ( that wouldnt sound right )

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

3. cawesjmu, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

This is what I'm using, since I just wanted a mini practice rig so I didn't have to lug my guitar amp out every time i wanted to work on some music. I haven't had much in the way of noise issues myself, but I've seen other posters with issues. Since it is in the headphone/mic jack like poloponies said, it definitely could contribute to more noise.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

The iRig is great for practice (I have one) but I really wouldn't want to use it for recording.

6. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Have you used the Apogee yet? Kicking around the idea of picking it up...although quite honestly if I'm going to record, I'll plug everything right into my MBP using my ArtTube MP pre-amp and use GarageBand from there.

Like the idea of recording from the iPad too though. :)