How do you point a domain name to a specific site you've created with iWeb?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Soundhound, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Soundhound, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

Soundhound macrumors 6502a

I have several sites I've created in iWeb and are hosted on Mobileme. Now for the first time I purchased a domain name and am setting up a site that will use that domain name. I went through the steps of assigning the personal domain in iWeb, and then had the company I registered the name with point the domain to me.com as instructed.

But it seems that it will just be pointing to my mobile me account, and I have several sites up there? Is there a step where I designate which of my mobile me websites this personal domain name which I purchased will point to?

Sorry if this is confusing! And thanks!

2. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I'm no expert at this sort of thing either, but I would recommend using "Domain Forwarding" as opposed to the rather complicated method in iWeb Help. Your domain registrar allows you to "forward" your domain to another domain very easily, and then optionally "mask" your forward (to hide the actual URL). So you can forward www.mysite.com to www.me.com/........... and anyone who hits www.mysite.com will automatically be sent to your MobileMe page.

3. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks,'but I think Im lost here. What I'm trying to figure out is, how does it work to make a domain name point to a specific sitenhosted for me at MobileMe. I have several sites up and I want the domain name to point to I one of them.

4. eRondeau, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

If you use the Domain Forwarding method I've suggested, you need to copy the URL of the first page of your MobileMe site into the "Forward To:" field provided by your domain registrar. So the URL of your MobileMe site would be similar to www.web.me.com/username/mysitename. (Upper/lower case counts here!) This way when somebody hits www.mysitename.com, the domain registrar's DNS (domain name service) will instantly pop them over (forward them) to your MobileMe site.

Really the fact that your site is hosted on Apple's distant server doesn't even matter. Just pretend your specifying a regular directory and it'll just work.