How do you prevent the MBP's processor from going into a low power mode during sleep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hello880, Sep 18, 2011.

1. hello880 macrumors member

I think this may be the cause of my processor whine because it's not there when I start up the computer... Does anyone know if I could change the settings of something and prevent the processor from going into a low power state?

2. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

the only thing I can think of is to not put the computer to sleep...

what is the point of putting it to sleep if you don't want the processor going to sleep?

3. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Processor clocking and powering down is by default design of the Intel processors - called Intel Enhanced SpeedStep Technology.

I don't hear a whine on any EIST CPUs though. What does the whine sound like?

4. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

Processor whine?

Eh? There is such a thing?

5. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

There is now

6. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

Google it, there are a lot of cases with MBP's and I was unlucky to get one with a buzzing sound whenever the processor is idle after sleep :(.

It's more of a buzz/crackling than a whine but it can be reduced with QuietMBP so it's the same thing as processor whine basically. Do you know how I could edit the settings of the processor?

----------

Also, every time I scroll there is a static like sound coming from the left side of the MBP where the Magsafe is and the part next to the trackpad.

7. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

EIST can be disabled in BIOS. Not sure how to on a Mac.

8. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

9. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

I took it to Apple and they claimed they couldn't hear anything... :mad:

10. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

then keep taking it back, or find a genius that's worth his salt...

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

All computers have a whine sound. Some its very quite or outside the range of human ears. Others its loud and within the upper limits of human ears. That's why only some people can hear the whine. The people that can mostly hear it are younger people, ~25 years old and younger. Its caused by the power chips vibrating at a certain frequency. I know on my older Powerbook G4 and Cube I can make the chips inside it whines/beeps out a little tune with an app I wrote that varies the amount of CPU usage.

On some Intell Macs, a person can use the CoolBook app to force the CPU to always run at full or low power mode. You could try that.

The static noise you hear when scrolling is cause by the hard drive and cannot be hear by most people. This is normal for Macs and Vista/7 machines. The fix is to use a SSD.

12. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

The static isn't coming from the right where the hard drive is though and CoolBook isn't supported on Lion :(

13. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

The whine is not coming from the CPU at all. It is as posted here from other components, likely A. the capacitors, and voltage regulators on the board. It's similar to the hum you can hear near high voltage power lines. Another thing could be the fan spinning up at low speeds. Maybe it smoothes out as it reaches higher speeds.

The CPU it self doesn't make noise. Even if you could hear the switching on a transistor, it would be in the megahertz range. The range of human hearing, even being extremely generous is 20hz-25kilohertz. Of course once CPUs reach 400 Terahertz, we might be able to see light coming off of them that wasn't due to blackbody radiation.

One solution is to be just like most americans in the country and go to some extremely loud concerts, so you just lose your high pitched hearing lol, but I don't recommend it. I'm sure most of the apple geniuses listen to music way too loud too. I had brought in a pair of my shure headphones and complained that my macbook pro made static noises, due to the low impedance on those headphones. They plugged in a pair of the standard apple crap and couldn't hear a thing. Of course you can't hear crap in a noisy apple store with crap headphones. In the end they exchanged it for me, but it turns out pretty much all macbook models I have tried (it was funny to walk around the store plugging in my headphones to every macbook there.) have a bit of static via the audio card when low impedence headphones are used. I fixed it by using the airline adapter/in-line volume control to increase resistance.

Given that you aren't using headphones, this is not likely your issue, but I am curious if this occurs on battery power, when plugged in or both?

14. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

It occurs on both battery and plugged in, but it does get louder when the MBP is charging.

15. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Sounds like it is one of the capacitors/transformers on the board. Not much you can do about this except take it in to them and try to get them to hear it.

16. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

Would they have to replace the entire logic board to fix it or just small parts of it?

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I never said the CPU itself makes noise. Let me quote what I said:
    Note I said power chips, not CPU.

They would replace the entire logic board.

18. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

I didn't say you said that. I was agreeing with you that it came from the caps/inductors. I was pointing out for the op that the cpu itself doesn't make noise lol. If you look, the second sentence, I posted it was as you posted, and not the cpu.

19. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

I really doubt they'll replace it though... unless it breaks or something, not for some buzzing noise :(

20. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

I've had them replace my lcd before because I thought it was dimmer than other LCDs. I've swapped whole macbook pros because of static I heard on my headphones with a new one. Persistance and being nice about it really help in these cases. ie if you bring it back to a genius bar more than once with the same complaint, you can say, look I've brought this in repeatedly and eventually they will just send it out and swap logic boards.

21. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

Do you think the buzzing sound from the bottom left corner while scrolling is also caused by this?

22. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

I noticed something weird... when I put the MBP into safe mode, the sound is completely gone... Does anyone know what the problem is??? I'm getting so frustrated by this. :mad:

23. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's because in Safe Mode the power save kexts are not loaded and it causes the computer to run at full power all the time.

24. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

So deleting one of those power save kexts like IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext would fix the problem? I wouldn't do it though because it might destroy my laptop :(

25. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is not something that should be done. If your computer is really troubling your that much, just replace it with something else.