Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
übergeek said:
its OS ten. OS ex sounds cool, but thats wrong. Yeah, you dont say vi is `six`, but the `X` in `OS X` is a version number thats in roman numerals. besides, what would you say for `vim`? six-m? :p
Clearly, VIM is "994", right? My memory of Roman numerals is a bit dim. But at least I use the Latin pronunciation of the X in OS X, which, of course, is "Ex". ;)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
jsw said:
I pity those trying to pronounce "X11". ;) As well as those old-timers who edit with "six", er, vi.

It's easy to pronounce X11, ex windows. What did all these people call it before it got to the current release? :D

People shouldn't even use vi, the visual interface to ed. It's easier to use ed or emacs or Teco or pico or... ;)

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
jsw said:
Clearly, VIM is "994", right? My memory of Roman numerals is a bit dim. But at least I use the Latin pronunciation of the X in OS X, which, of course, is "Ex". ;)
ROFLMAO i forgot about that ;)
Hehe :p

I rather like vi. and vim. and nano. emacs i use, but ehhhh...

cifriX

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2004
TN
I say it Mac OS 10. Which has been the official way to say it since its release. However I sometimes jokingly call it Mac OS neXt - for various reasons (but for that matter you could just as well call it Copland, Rhapsody, BeOS, or Mac OS Classic; seeings it contains technologys for each of these OS's mixed together).

Applespider

macrumors G4
How many OS "Ex"ers started using their Macs after OS 9 was relegated to Classic level?

And how many OS "Ten"ers upgraded from OS 9 to make it seem really logical?

I missed out on OS 8 and 9 while on the dark side. When I looked at Macs again late last year, I saw it and automatically read it as OS eX (despite 5 years of Latin) probably because I like how it sounds and people generally know what it means outside the Mac community.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Applespider said:
How many OS "Ex"ers started using their Macs after OS 9 was relegated to Classic level?

Not I. My first Mac was a System 6 Mac SE in 1990, and every OS in between that and OSX. But I still say OS eX.
My first Apple was an Apple IIe. I say 2E.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Applespider said:

And how many OS "Ten"ers upgraded from OS 9 to make it seem really logical?

I missed out on OS 8 and 9 while on the dark side. When I looked at Macs again late last year, I saw it and automatically read it as OS eX (despite 5 years of Latin) probably because I like how it sounds and people generally know what it means outside the Mac community.

i didn't consider buying a computer until i started working with OS 9. (this was a year and a half ago.) i hated windows but didn't want linux because i wanted a laptop with preloaded OS. and i thought OS 9 was better enough over windows so i wanted to get a Mac laptop. imagine my delight when i got to use OS X and found out that that would be the OS on the new Mac laptop! :)

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
OS Ten for me, though I have said OS Ex on occasion. Then I promptly slap myself silly to make pennance.

Edot

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2002
NJ
"Ex" is Wrong!

There is no reason is should be pronounced "Ex". The X in OS X is a roman numeral not a letter. Therefore it should assume the English pronunciation for this symbol, which is "Ten". As far as using the Latin pronunciation, that would be ok if you are speaking Latin but I could argue the same for OS "Diez" which is still "Ten" in English not "Ex". You would not say OS "Ekeese". I am amazed at all of the responses that pronounce it "Ex". I never hear it that way unless it is someone unfamiliar or new to Macs. Maybe it is a regional thing, but I still stand as "Ex" being incorrect. It isn't a preference, just as Windows "Ten Pee" would not be correct either.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Right or wrong, I will continue to say eX. I know how to say it properly. But as an American, it's my right to call it eX. Hell, I can call it Mac OS railroad-crossing if I want. Sweet! If that means to someone that I don't know anything about Mac OS X, so be it. They'd be quite wrong.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Hehe, this thread cracks me up!

I switched to OSX basically the day it was released, and work with Mac heads daily... I am surrounded by them actually. I have NEVER heard it called OS Ex before, and all of a sudden now I see this thread that weighs about 50-50 on calling it OS ten vs. Os X!

Too funny, you learn a new thing everyday!

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
yellow said:
Right or wrong, I will continue to say eX. I know how to say it properly. But as an American, it's my right to call it eX. Hell, I can call it Mac OS railroad-crossing if I want. Sweet! If that means to someone that I don't know anything about Mac OS X, so be it. They'd be quite wrong.

Amen brotha! I am not new to Macs, and was there to experience OS9 for a few years...and I'm still gonna call is OS ex no matter what. if Apple wanted it to ba called OS 10, they should have named it OS10.

The way I see it, OSX is so different and so much better than OS9 that it almost seems belittling to refer to it as OS 10....that just sound like a revision to OS9. OS Ex sounds much more like what OSX is...a huge leap in the OS evolution.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
This thread is getting a wee bit too emotional on the part of some people, I think. No one here disputes that "OS Ten" is the correct pronunciation. Of course, the thread asks how we each say it, not what the correct pronunciation might happen to be. If Apple didn't want people to say "OS Ex" then they should have labeled it OS 10. In fact, they label the versions that way, but use the 'X' in the OS name.

Some of us just prefer "OS Ex", regardless of correctness. Does it really matter? Do many of the people in this forum actually talk to one another all that often?

And, BTW, the "Latin pronunciation of X" thing was a joke....

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
And with Xcode, Xgrid, X11 (admitedly, not Apple's), Xserve, and Exposé (anyone see a play on words there?), I don't think Apple's exactly discouraging the whole "Ex" pronunciation.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Roman numeral

I wasted a year learning Latin and so I have always thought of OSX as 'ten', which makes logical sense considering it was previously 8, 9 etc. It makes more sense to say 10.3.5 as 'ten-dot-three-dot-five' rather than 'echs-dot-three-dot-five.'
The system is ultimately a number symbolized by the Roman Numeral.
How would you say Superbowl XXXIII?
'Welcome to Superbowl Echs-Echs-Echs-Three' or 'Echs-Echs-Echs-Eye-Eye-Eye'
Nope. It's 33 or 'thirty-three'.

yellow said:
Right or wrong, I will continue to say eX. I know how to say it properly. But as an American, it's my right to call it eX. Hell, I can call it Mac OS railroad-crossing if I want. Sweet!...

Mac OS 'Kris-Kross'
For a hip-hop generation; or at least those who can wear their shirts on backwards!

I pronounce it Ten, but OS Echs is just fine, if a little bit illogical.
Those silly Latinaes caused this in the first place.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I say O S ex just because its .002 seconds faster and time is money! :rolleyes:

Really I just like how it rolls of the tounge easier than OS10, and for those that don't like it.

Ipod MAC Ipod MAC Ipod MAC!

BWA HA HA HA HA!

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
titaniumducky said:
That's so awesome that Terminal says "OS X" as "OS Ten" but "Random Word X" as "Random Word Ex."
I say OS ten as well. I said ex when I first started hearing about it, until I realized it was supposed to be a roman numeral. Anyway, I love that thing about the Terminal too, I didn't know about the "say" command until today :rolleyes: :D

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Thirteenva said:
I say OS TEN.

I believe that is the correct way to say it. In fact if you go into terminal and use the 'say' command with the sentence "I love Mac OS X" it will also say OS ten when it reads it back.

Type "I love Mac OSX" without the space...

hmmmmmmm a pickle to your scheme

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
MacFan26 said:
I say OS ten as well. I said ex when I first started hearing about it, until I realized it was supposed to be a roman numeral. Anyway, I love that thing about the Terminal too, I didn't know about the "say" command until today :rolleyes: :D

This say command is super-fun. :) I tried to trick it with "MacOS X Malcolm X MacOS X" but it stayed with me. But it does say Office dot Ex.... :D

Oh, another funny one: it says XServe correctly because it knows it too. If you put in some other random x word, like "xmosaic" (old school, right?), it doesn't pronounce it in the same way.

Ahhh, we could have a whole rumors board just off this command. :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
hulugu said:
I wasted a year learning Latin and so I have always thought of OSX as 'ten', which makes logical sense considering it was previously 8, 9 etc. It makes more sense to say 10.3.5 as 'ten-dot-three-dot-five' rather than 'echs-dot-three-dot-five.'
The system is ultimately a number symbolized by the Roman Numeral.
How would you say Superbowl XXXIII?
'Welcome to Superbowl Echs-Echs-Echs-Three' or 'Echs-Echs-Echs-Eye-Eye-Eye'
Nope. It's 33 or 'thirty-three'.

Mac OS 'Kris-Kross'
For a hip-hop generation; or at least those who can wear their shirts on backwards!

I pronounce it Ten, but OS Echs is just fine, if a little bit illogical.
Those silly Latinaes caused this in the first place.

Even they would not go through all of that.

X = decem.
XXXIII = triginta et tres.

Colonel Panik

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2004
Dublin, Ireland
Personally I couldn't give a rat's behind, and I say '10' | 'X' depending on which way the wind is blowing (yes, really).

I don't know. Some people argue that it's called '10' because that's a natural progression from 8, 9... which is not true.
Before Mac OS X, we used Mac OS 9, NOT Mac OS IX.
So it's clear that Apple were trying to tie into the whole 'generation X' use of X, which is 'cool'. Hence, although they've said that it should be pronounced 'OS 10', it's ambiguous. If it's 'OS ten', then why not write it 'OS 10'? Why 'OS X'? Since when did we all start counting in roman numerals once we reach X, er, ten?

Let's see, they could have done it in hex, and we could be on 'OS A', or perhaps binary, so that would be 'OS 00001011', "but pronounced 'OS Ten'".

It used to be that movie sequels were billed as 'II', 'IV', etc., but now they're sticking with Arabic numerals, ala 'Spiderman 2'. Why is that? Are people getting dumber?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.