how do you put high quality images in the iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by butlertotheb, Sep 30, 2007.

1. butlertotheb macrumors member

butlertotheb

i want to upload a huge map in my iphone for a photo to look at if i need a map of chicago. Only problem is when I upload the picture through itunes the image size is adjusted so the quality looks like crap when i zoom in, is it possible to change this at all? or a different way to upload the pictures?

2. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

try emailing yourself a pdf version of the map maybe?

3. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

that or .png... haven't had too much luck with .jpeg or .bmp

4. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Why would'nt you just use google maps?:confused:

5. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

agreed! you can always bookmark Chicago on google maps for easy access

6. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

maybe he's using his iphone as an ipod... sans a cell plan???

7. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

It's actually very difficult to get high quality images stored permanently on your iPhone. The reason is that iTunes translates image files for display into a different format called .ithmb and then uploads those files onto the iPhone. You can actually view these files on your computer- They're in your iPhoto library/iPod Photo Cache and they are either 52k or 708 k in size, regardless of the size of the original photo. It seems this is a vestige of the way the iPod stores photos.

You can, of course, e-mail yourself but unfortunately that frequently requires an internet connection so you can't be guaranteed that what you sent to yourself is actually stored on your phone.

Another method is to use Print to send items to your iPhone. In Mac OS 10.4 you have a pull down menu in the main Print window called PDF on the lower left hand side. Select the "Print PDF to iPhoto" option. Then sync your phone and whatever you saved as a PDF to iPhoto will show up on your phone. This can be a helpful trick if you modify the Automator action that is behind this and set up your iPhoto library correctly. You can create a new Automator action to always send the PDF to the right folder in iPhoto which you can keep synced to your phone. Unfortunately, the problem with this is once again the limitations of the .ithmb file format which degrades the quality of the final image when you zoom in.

And yet another method that I am a little uncertain about exploits Safari's bookmarks to get items on the iPhone. It's a bit of work to get this to work though. Here's the link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=331239

8. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Someone did this with the NYC subway map. I think they broke it into 9 or 12 different sections to maintain the resolution. You could try that, then just drop the photos in iPhoto and sync.