How do you put NES games on with Intel Mac w/ijailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by ll PiStoNs ll, Oct 22, 2007.

1. ll PiStoNs ll macrumors regular

THe only tutorials I can find are for Windows. Do I need to use the mac and go to install iphone apps and login and everything, or is there a way to download the roms from installer.app?

IF i need to use ijailbreak / other apps, how?(i searched so please just give a link if there is one)

2. SuperDaddy macrumors member

Check out the "more info" option listed on the NES Emulator App in Installer.

The text there will explain how to get the NES Roms needed for use with the NES Emulator.

3. ll PiStoNs ll thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I know How to get them I dont know how to put them on.. WHen I plug in my itouch all that comes up is itunes, and when i go to ijailbreak it just says jailbreak or install iphone apps. Whats the app where u need to know the ip adress and the root and alpine pw stuff??

4. SuperDaddy macrumors member

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood.

This may be a little like the blind leading the blind, but here it goes:

I use Cyberduck to access the Touch through wifi. Cyberduck allows you to open a connection called sftp. With the ip, username and password (all of which you already know) you can access the Touch via wifi. I assume this is how you would add the Roms.

Have your Touch on, and make sure it is connected to wifi. Start Cyberduck, select "Open Connection" at the top, select sftp from the top drop-down menu in the new window that opens, put in your Touch's ip address in the "server" box, enter "root" as the username, and "alpine" as the password, hit connect...and you will see a subsequent window open up. This is for the Touch.

As for actually putting NES Roms on, I dont have a clue yet. But Cyberduck is the App I think you need.

5. emb531 macrumors member

once you've succesfully connected using cyberduck or wincp(windows) navigate to this folder

/var/root/Media/

once in this directory, create a folder named ROMs (make sure the s is lowercase)

go into this new folder named ROMs

create a new folder within this folder(ROMs) named NES (all capitals)

now go into this new folder named NES

drop your ROMs into here, so something like smb3.nes or whatever your game is.

open up NES on the ipod, enjoy :D

6. JuicyGoo macrumors member

Hey, I actually did a search for this thread.

Thanks for the info! I love this forum. I would've never figured out any of this stuff on my own.

7. elcid macrumors 6502

And we love you for using the search function!

8. mrsilkunderwear macrumors newbie

HI! Didnt want to make another thread about this but, I uploaded a wrong file using ibricker to the Nes section, how do i delete it? i tried using my cyberduck but it doesnt connect to my ipod. Also anyone has ff3 on their touch? Thanks.

9. ll PiStoNs ll thread starter macrumors regular

I am doing this wrong...

Ok i d/led cybber duck... I clicked on open new connection, and for ip adress i used the one it says when you go to wifi settings ***.***.*.* (numbers where the stars are) and I then did root and alpine... It said it ouldnt connect what Am i doing wrong? Or do i need to be in safari or something

10. BigFootLee macrumors newbie

I understand the how to concept of installing nes onto your ipod

but what is the name of a good nes emulator for the ipod itouch

11. SuperDaddy macrumors member

Make sue you select "sftp (ssh secure flle transfers)" from the box at the top of the window that opens when you select "open connection".

12. kgarchar macrumors 6502

a much easier way is to get mobilefinder and create the ROMs/NES folders in the media folder, then use ishare and upload a rom via sendspace. get the link, type it in, save to Media/ROMs/NES and you're good to go!

13. Darkjenso macrumors regular

i think itd be cool to have this, as the ipod doesnt come with any games

14. madofrain macrumors member

madofrain

Nes rom install

I had some issues with this too..
    I followed this jailbreak :
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=377390

with the http://www.jailbreakme.com url...

After which SSH was not installed on my ipod touch as default..So to fix I installed 'BSD subsystem' I had to then install 'community sources' and then install 'open ssh'...I then installed 'Ulctl' and afer opening this last app ,right down the bottom of the list the task 'com.openssh.sshd' is there,make sure it's running..if its is;nt click 'load -w'

I was then able to ssh from my mac using the usual i.p method stated in the old wiki jailbreak.

Considering how important SSH is for transfering apps,roms etc..You'd think somone would make a jailbreak that includes SSH in the inital install..
    meh

15. me0610 macrumors newbie

the App u need to insert Nes Roms

Yes the application u need is called FUGU. This application allows direct access to ur Iphone from ur CPU. If u need further instructions a good tutorial would be to check out Youtube and search for iPhone Hacks Part 3 NES ROMs And that well give u a walk through on how to do it. O yeh the fugu app is free just google it.

16. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

lol, so true

17. tecton macrumors newbie

tried that but am having problems...

I have a jailbroken touch with tons of working apps. I just cant get my mac (using cyberduck or cute ftp) to connect to my touch. Its driving me crazy! The computer doesnt find it and times out. The wifi is strong. I have ssh turned on on the touch....

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

I have the bsd and community services apps and Ulctl has ssh turned on..

Please help! :confused:

18. tecton macrumors newbie

ok problem solved!

I gave up on the other method (sftp using cyberduck) and used this one. All in all it took about 15 mins. loaded up super mario and really am good to go.

Thank You!! :D

19. phoenix.stu macrumors member

For MAC users:

This should be very simple to understand.

**Make sure you have already installed the "BSD Subsystem" from the installer app.**

Following the steps in the picture provided here are the instructions on how to use Cyberduck.

STEP 1- Click on the "Open Connection"

STEP 2- Under the "Protocol" section, use the pull down menu and select the one that is in the picture "SFTP (SSH Secure File Transfer)".
    **If you are still unsure. . . It is the one with the check mark beside it.

STEP 3- Enter your IP address of your iPoT. VERY IMPORTANT
    Make sure the "Port" is 22
    **NOTE** You can find your IP address under the settings button on your iPoT. Go to the Wi-Fi settings and then when you see your network listed, click on the blue arrow to the right of your network and you will find your IP address.**

STEP 4- enter "root" (without quotation marks). Just like the picture.

STEP 5- enter "alpine" (without quotation marks). Just like the picture.
    **NOTE** If you have already changed your password please use it instead of the one in the picture.**

STEP 6- Click on the "Connect" button

You are all set. You should now see all of your files. Navigate to the appropriate section as described in the earlier post above and follow the directions on where to add the ROMs.

I hope this helps. :)
    [​IMG]

20. crapday macrumors newbie

Great walk through. I was having trouble till I read this thread. The picture makes it so easy.

cheers.:)

21. phoenix.stu macrumors member