How do you put the a4 or processor speed to the test?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by quaterbyadime, Jun 25, 2010.

1. quaterbyadime macrumors newbie

So I just got my iphone 4 and I love it! I just wanted to know what can you do to test out the new speed that its suppose to have? What can I do to know that the phone is faster than the previous gen? Are things just suppose to run smoother?

Also how do you completely exit an app so it doesn't run in the background? If I open up an app and exit it, by clicking the home screen button... doesn't that app still run in the background like multitask? Is there a way where you can just exit the app completely?

I know this is a noob question, but I wanted to make sure. The "Mail" app that is built in the iphone is not push notification like the blackberry right? Instead it notifies you a new message everyone 15 minutes? To get instant push... you need mobileme correct?

Thanks!

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

In 99% of cases, applications are suspended when they go into the background and do not continue to run. Only specially designed audio, navigation, and VOIP apps can run indefinitely in the background, and only if they are actually being used for their intended purpose. That is, Pandora uses no CPU time in the background unless you are actually listening to music. Skype uses no CPU time unless you are on a call, etc.

Some other apps that do time consuming tasks (i.e. uploading a bunch of stuff to flickr) can have an extra 10 minutes after going into the background to finish up.

All of these sorts of apps are pretty rare at the moment, and you'll most likely know if you have one.