How do you quench your data-hungry appetite? 2GB aint enough.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iSingandiDance, Jul 10, 2011.

1. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

I'm on my last 100MB of data for the month (5 days left before it auto-renews) and I'm left looking for alterntive ways to get more data without forking over another $25. :rolleyes:

What do you do to get more data?

2. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

iPad 2 16GB WiFi + Jailbroken iPhone 4 w/Unlimited Data Plan + MyWi

I absolutely REFUSE to pay for two data contracts, especially when I have my iPhone on me 24-7. It makes absolutely no financial sense.

3. iSingandiDance thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Hopefully the iphone comes to sprint. I'll do just that.

This would be so much easier with an unlimited data plan option. :(

4. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Guess you are not on AT$T then.

They are suing people for using MyWi PdaNet TetherMe.

5. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

Yes, I'm on AT&T. And as far as I know, they weren't suing people, they were going to automatically switch them to tethering plans.

That being said, I only use about 200 - 400MB of data per month on my iPhone 4 even with tethering -- that's not enough for them to even get worried about. 90% of the time, I'm near a Wi-Fi access point.

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I guess that doesn't help the OP much then....he's asking how to get more than 2GB per month.

7. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Rooted EVO ( free tethering, thanks Google! ) = Unlimited Data :D

Grab an EVO, Samsung Epic, Nexus S, Palm Pre etc, root it ( so there's no need to pay for the stupid HotSpot feature ) and you're set!!

You don't need an iPhone on Sprint for this!

8. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

That's what I did when I was with ATT. Worked great on the 3GS and then on the iP4! ( grandfathered into the unlimited data )

I, too, refused to fork out additional $25 to tether! My usage was around 3-4 GBs/month for a solid 3 years and ATT never bothered!! I guess things must have changed in the last 6 months.

I think MyWi announced ( recently ) that they were ( or already have, not sure ) updating their app so that all ( tethering ) usage will show as being used by the iPhone to ATT, and not as being tethered! ;)

9. iSingandiDance thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Thanks for the interesting insights.

I just found an app for my blackberry curve called Tether (using Sprint's unlimited data plan) which does a decent job. There's a trial period and then a $50 one time fee. Not bad.

My curve's battery life is rather palsy. That goes for most tethered and MiFi devices.

May just bite the bullet for an unlimited SIM; (gotta find one first).

10. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Maybe you should check out this thread--OP outlines way to supposedly get unlimited data via Boost Mobile for $10/mo.

11. iSingandiDance thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

I just checked it out.

It's very similar to Tether.

12. henchman macrumors 6502a

I just tether mine thru my t-mobile android phone.
    4g speeds. :)

13. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

You can't have a contract with an iPad, can you? I thought they were all month to month, even the vzw ipad2s.

I do agree, and I tend to think the issues with mobile data will be sorted out in the next several years.

14. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I believe he was talking about tethering his iPad to use the internet off his phone. To do it the official way, you have to add a tether feature to your contract which costs extra per month.

15. iSingandiDance thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

I mistakenly looked at the Usage tab under Settings instead of the View My Accoount and thought that I was nearing the end of my alotted data, but in actuality, I had a decent amount left.

So 2GB may actually be sufficient, but I would more than love an unlimited plan for things like downloading music, video, and apps. At the moment, I mostly surf web pages and use youtube (which is automatically rendered in standard def) and I'm left with a 100 or so MB by month's end.