Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you read acronyms?

• I read "SSD" as "Solid State Drive"

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I read "SSD" as "SSD"

Votes: 16 80.0%

• Total voters

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Here in the Mac community, there are many that like to shorten product names to make them easier to type. But recently a post left me wondering, they put "an SSD", meaning that they would read the acronym letters out loud instead of what it is an acronym for. Whenever I see an acronym such as "MBP", I always read it as "MacBook Pro" rather than reading it as it is typed "MBP". So, how do you read acronyms?

iPhone 62S

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2009
For me it depends. If it's a unofficial acroym such as MBP, I read it as MacBook Pro, but if it's something like SSD which is official then I'll read it as SSD.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
It really depends. Whichever one's easier on the tongue. I read MBP as Macbook Pro, and SSD as 'SSD'.

But then again, when I'm reading, I don't read aloud, so I just know what they mean. :p.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
Depends:

MBP= MacBook Pro
SSD= SSD

Some things I can remember the name better than the acronym. SMTP is one of them.

iPhone 62S's signature said:
MICROSOFT - Mac Imitations from a Corrupt Roguish Organization Selling Only Faulty Technology
LOL, and I like how that appeared in this thread

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.