Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seniordan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Canada
Old fashioned hardcover/paperback? iPad? some kind of ebook reader?

I own an iPad mini, but I still prefer to kick it old school and purchase physical copies of books.

You guys?

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I've done both in the past. More recently, I've read more on the iPad due to convenience. Unfortunately, screen reading isn't as good. In fact, one the magazines I read on my iPad, Scientific American, had an article in the recent issue about paper versus screen reading. If I have the time, I'll read it and report their findings.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have an iPad, and have very recently, bought a Kindle which I have yet to use. So, at one level, I do use both.

Now, of course, I fully understand the huge convenience of having a portable library, but personally, I still prefer the feel and heft of a nice, solid book in my hands. The other thing is that I use computers for work, and so am staring at a screen for long enough each day.

Moreover, I find that when you read online, you read differently or approach the source differently (or, at least, I do) than when you read an actual book or newspaper. Then, you can concentrate more and actually think about what you are reading.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
As I work in the printing industry, I like the look and feel of hardbound books. Always have. Part of the reason I like hardbound as well, is that they sit on a bookshelf neatly and maintain themselves for future use.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Nothing like feeling the paper slip across your fingers as you read...

I agree completely, it is a wonderful feeling, especially if the paper is question is made from good quality paper.

Never had a paper cut then?:eek:

Yes. They are surprisingly painful, and sometimes, can go surprisingly deep.

As I work in the printing industry, I like the look and feel of hardbound books. Always have. Part of the reason I like hardbound as well, is that they sit on a bookshelf neatly and maintain themselves for future use.

Again, I agree completely. Very nice post - and yes, the solid endurance of a well made hardback book is something I, too, find very attractive. I love reading them, the feel of them as I read, and the appearance they present on the shelf. Indeed, when buying books on Amazon, I always prefer to buy a very good quality hardback over anything else.

WoodNUFC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
A Library
For academic purposes I prefer physical copies. For some reason, university presses aren't great at publishing ebooks. Plus, I like filling my bookshelves. It makes me feel smarter! :D

For fiction, or leisure, I like reading on my kindle. I feel like it helps me focus on the text.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Either my Kindle reader or more likely, my iPod Touch 5.

The screen size on my Touch is small for reading but my iPod Touch is always with me.

----------

In my opinion, hardbound books take up too much space. All the non e-reader books I own are paperback.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
When I had the full sized iPad, I read exclusively on my Kindle Touch. Since I got the iPad Mini, I haven't touched my Kindle. I can sideload straight to iBooks, or read my Amazon or B&N purchases on their apps.

Seniordan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Canada

Completely agree as well!

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I've only read a few books on my laptop but still prefer hardcover. I think that may change if I get a tablet eventually though.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I use a combination of all the above.

Comics I read both on my iPad and the paper versions. Books I use the Kindle and the paper versions.

Magazines almost exclusively on my iPad, in fact I don't get any more magazines period. Between iBooks and Zinio my paper magazines are all but gone.

Renzatic

Suspended
Moreover, I find that when you read online, you read differently or approach the source differently (or, at least, I do) than when you read an actual book or newspaper. Then, you can concentrate more and actually think about what you are reading.

I think the biggest problem with reading books on my iPad vs. the traditional method would be the distractions. I can get absorbed in a good novel on an LCD or e-ink display just as easily as I can on paper...

...but a book won't ding at you the moment an email lands in your inbox. When you're reading a book, it's just you and the story. No internet. No email. No twitter. No battery life notifications. Nothing to draw your attention away from what you're reading.

That said, I do the vast majority of my reading on my iPad these days. It's not that bad, but yeah...there are things about books I find myself missing sometimes.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Mostly on my iPad Mini and occasionally on my iPhone when I'm really into a book but say at work and don't have my Mini with me.

I plan on buying an iPad 5 and reading on that the most.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
In my opinion, hardbound books take up too much space. All the non e-reader books I own are paperback.

Agree with you 100%. I have the room for them though. Most of my books are antiquities research books and handled quite often, so I need them to stand the test of time.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I love books and reading them. The real thing. Don't have to check if the battery is charged or worry that the book will break if it falls off the bed and hits the floor. Best of all, I can share my books with friends and family.

Yes, books do take up space and collect dust. I've tried using my iPad and Touch as e-readers. Downloaded a novel to my Kindle app a few weeks ago and while there are some nice things about the technology, still prefer a hard or soft bound book in my hands.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Never had a paper cut then?:eek:

Plenty;)

There is just something viscerally satisfying that I have a hard time characterizing. I have to admit I'm worried for the day when physical books become an anachronism. Will my children and grandchildren think I'm kooky for insisting on such an inefficient medium?

Sandman824

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2006
Wisconsin
I use my ipad for newspapers and magazines, use my old kindle with e ink mostly for books. I don't like books on the ipad for any duration of reading. And I tend to get distracted when using the ipad, checking mail, games, etc. On the kindle I just read my book. And the battery lasts for a month.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
You are lucky. With wi-fi off and the Kindle off (i.e. everything off), my battery in my Kindle keyboard runs dry in 4 days. Looking at the postings on the net, it is a very common problem.

How much do you read a day? My Kindle keyboard gets between 2-3 weeks on a charge. Since it is 2.5 years old, I have seen some degradation but nothing like you are claiming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.