How Do You Read? - How Do You Learn?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, Feb 4, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

"With my eyes, duh."

Alright, got that answer out of the way.

I'm serious.

See, i've recently gotten into the habit of reading for pleasure quite a bit. I'm reading about 1 book a week, though know for a fact I can ramp it up to 2 a week. In the past i've read pretty slower by reading each sentence in my mind, however for the past few weeks have tried the Speed Reading approach as described in 100's of YouTube videos. Admittedly, I enjoy this method more because aside from reading through pages a lot faster, I have noticed a better retention of the material. I just finished reading Animal Farm (again, because my library had an original 1st edition copy and wanted to hold the book, though wasn't allowed to check it out) in a slow manner w/o using the speed reading method and know the jist of the book...but, about 3 weeks ago read "iWoz" by Steve Wozniak with the speed reading technique, read it in about 5/6 hours and can think of the story in a lot more detail than Animal Farm, a book I just read 3 days ago.

But in this thread i'm more curious as to if you hold a pen throughout your readings, perhaps to underline something of interest or something important you want to remember. Essentially, in regards with reading i'm very curious as to how you learn and retain the material. This may sound as if I'm asking because I want to memorize college textbook material but the truth of the matter is that during my readings I come across so much interesting sentences, paragraphs, one-liners, advice, tips, etc that I'd hate to have to skim through all the pages after i'm done reading that particular chapter.

Anyways..................Go.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If I am reading fictional material I can read fast, but I usually am only reading technical material which gains no benefit from speed reading.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Okay, so say with the tech material you stumble upon great points you'd like to remember. Are you one to be holding a highlighter, extra sheet of paper, star it or something...or nada?

I'm really attempting to retain a bunch of good info i'll want to remember. & i'm not talking for when i'm reading iWoz or 1984, but rather more like, The Selfish Gene, or The Philosophy of The Simpsons.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I read a poster once that said if you hear it/read it you will remember it x% of the time, write it down you'll remember it x% of the time, if you teach it you will remember it x% of the time. All progressively higher obviously, I personally like to rewrite the important points, highlighting does me no good at all.

5. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I have the same problem. I do still read some non-tech stuff, but a lot of my reading the past few years has been tech stuff. I read a lot faster on non-tech stuff. I also have problems reading things electronically, such as on an e-book reader. I don't know what it is, but when I try to read an e-book, long pdf, etc, I just zone out. Needless to say, I don't see myself buying a Kindle or iPad any time soon.

As far as speed reading: When I was working for a university, one of the benefits was free classes. One semester, I signed up for a speed reading class on a whim. It actually ended up being a very useful class, and I increased my reading rate and retention rate. I wish I had taken it earlier in my academic career.