How do you read large text (not pdf) files on a touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Maegulimavri, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Maegulimavri macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am trying to set my touch up so as to enable it to regularly allow me to read large text files (originally downloaded in .rtf format) on the go.

So far i have downloaded Apache and simply uploaded (with Cyberduck) the text files in HTML format (HTML saves space and allows safari ot be used as it i use it to read PDFs) onto my touch. I can read them fine, except, i am having font size troubles.

In original format, the text is too small to read without pinching/zooming into the text, which then means that i have to scroll back and forth as i read each line. I have tried increasing the text size of the rtf file before i save it as an html, but this leads to the text overlapping with its self (ie lines of text overlapping with the lines above and below them) and becoming illegible.

I have attempted to increase line spacing before saving to HTML, but this has proved fruitless.

Anyone else tried to read general text on their touch? Any comments? Any suggestions?

Cheers

2. Maegulimavri thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey,

i may have missed it in the original post, but my aim was to start a general discussion on using the iTouch as a text reader and the alternative methods people have utilised or can think of.

Or does no one here actually bother with reading text on the touch?

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

I would suggest maybe emailing them to yourself. That's the only way that I know of that works well. Just be sure to open them in the iPhone's mail app, and you should be set.

4. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Well yo could install Finder and MobileTextedit if you have a jailbroken iPod.

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

There's an eBook reader (or two?) available for the touch that might be of use.

6. aki macrumors 6502a

The eBook reader app available on Installer is very good, I use it all the time, it has many options for format of text display including font size etc etc. It takes a little time to load very big text files but seconds not minutes! Try it if you haven't already?

7. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

Do you know much HTML? Changing the font size may help. Or in whatever you use to edit your RTFs, see if you can make your page narrower, which will in turn make the lines narrower, hopefully fitting on your touch screen.