How do you recover a deleted iPhone backup folder?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mmpitcher22, Mar 29, 2015.

1. mmpitcher22 macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a picture I kept in an application (not apple made) from about a year ago. Usually if I need something from that app I extract the backup it is located in using an app on my mac. I deleted the iphone backup that it was on awhile ago. Is there a way to recover the actual iphone backup that was deleted off of my computer? (To be clear, I know how to access all my previous backups. The specific one I'm looking for doesn't show up on the list with all the other backup options because I deleted it. I'm not looking for how to recover a backup to my iphone, I'm looking to recover a backup that was already stored on my computer but was deleted. Most of the previous threads I've seen seem to answer the first issue, not the second one.) FYI I also do not have time machine set up on my mac.

2. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Well you could always try Disk Drill or Recuva.

These tools operate on the premise that files deleted on your computers aren't actually deleted, but marked for deletion (AKA re-write is allowed over them whenever the drive needs the space). These tools basically let you recover files that are marked for deletion but haven't been overwritten yet, but not very often because usually these files get rewritten pretty quickly unless you have a massive drive with sparse files or have an SSD which isn't nearly as fragmentable as regular hard drives. Furthermore, newer SSDs have built-in garbage collection and all kinds of other fancy tech I won't mention that pretty much makes it impossible to recover deleted files (and believe me, in this day and age, that's a good thing. Sadly not for you in this case, though).

So yeah, it depends entirely on your configuration and usage habits. Is it likely that you'll get your files back? If you have a hard drive, it's 50-50. For an SSD, I'd say not really.