How do you remove a glass screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Shikaka, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Shikaka macrumors regular

I got my 6+ on launch day and immediately put on a glass screen protector. The protector was an early production model and you can tell they miscalculated the design. I see much better options for sale now.

What's the best way to remove a glass screen protector without damaging the iPhone's screen underneath?

Is there usually leftover adhesive residue that needs to be cleaned off?

2. carreragt7 macrumors regular

Just peel it up slowly from one corner. It may or may not break as you remove it, but it shouldn't get too crazy. I've removed many without issue, some of them were taken off to throw away after they got scratched up or cracked, but some I took off to reapply to a new phone after getting a warranty replacement.

As it sounds like you aren't planning on reusing yours, don't worry. it won't mess up your screen unless you are super careless.

3. xreei macrumors member

xreei

Do glass protectors reapply well? I know films are almost completely useless once you've applied them before.

4. carreragt7 macrumors regular

It can be hit or miss, various factors (different brands, screen sizes, dust, etc). I've had some peel off and reapply almost perfectly, and others that the adhesion on an edge wasn't as good after the reapplication. I also broke one that I was trying to swap onto a different phone. So I wouldn't recommend trying to take one off just to reposition it, only if you're needing to send a phone back for warranty or selling it without the protector.