how do you remove a third party icon from the toolbar?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ascott, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Ascott macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how to remove a third party icon from the top toolbar? My printer has a weird icon utility up there and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. The "command" drag it out procedure DOES NOT work. Any help here would be great. Thanks

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

There may be a 'show icon in menubar' option in your printer settings. Uncheck it.

3. Ascott thread starter macrumors newbie

nope

there isn't. Its actually for a utility that came with the printer when I installed the software. When I search for it, it doesn't come up.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Did you try to command+Drag or control+drag, I can't remember the keyshortcut atm, but I believe you can drag items off it just like the dock.

5. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

That doesn't work for 3rd party apps.

There should be something in the app's preferences.

6. Ascott thread starter macrumors newbie

yea there is nothing in the preferences either.

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I never install the 3rd party crap that comes with printers, scanners etc. Usually in OSX they just work and you dont need to fill up your HD with stuff you dont need. That being said there are some things that force you to use their software.

If you want rid of it that badly you could try uninstalling the printer (and all 3rd party stuff that came with it) then just try using the printer via OSX. If it works it is less likely to place an icon in the menu bar this way.

8. Ascott thread starter macrumors newbie

great idea except I need the program because of the scanner part.

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

If it's THAT big a deal to not want this 3rd party app, you CAN scan without the scanner software, just 'aquire' in whatever imaging or document software your using. Document Imaging is the 'windows' version, I believe there is something in utilities or somewhere that's the equiv.

10. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Actually it does on some. I had to wait until I got home to my macs to try it. Worked on a few I have up at the top.

11. Ascott thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, but I need the software just NOT the icon in the toolbar at the top next to the time. Does anyone know how to remove that icon???

12. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Stab in the dark, did you check the manufacturer's site? So far we haven't seen any mention as to what printer, make model, software package installed, so right now everyone is pretty much giving general shots in the dark.

13. ihabime macrumors 6502

By top toolbar, do you mean the menu bar? If so then it's a menu extra. As far as I know, non-apple menu extras require a running program or application enhancer to stay in place, so you might be able to track it down with activity monitor. Also check the login items for your user account to see if it was added there.

14. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

LOL totally forgot about that place. That'll keep the software from auto running and thus putting the icon in place. Run it as needed, then 'force quit' it when done. That is if running it on an as need basis put the icon back.

But it's a good point. Like iStats uses a 'helper' to keep it's stuff up top. I can drag and remove some of the items but not all. If I kill the helper, the icons go away. But that's not a totally good example since the stuff IS configurable on the menu bar with that software.

15. fxcritical macrumors newbie

re: how do you remove a third party icon from the toolbar?

To remove the item, hold down the Command key as you drag it out of the toolbar.

16. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Thanks for bring back a thread from four years ago, with the same information that has been proven to not work.

17. maccasnaccas macrumors newbie

crtl+ mouse click

crtl+ mouse click to get rid of it

but how do you put something in there?