Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scenn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Hi Everyone

My macbook recently died (not sure what the problem is but it won't start up). My IT guy seems to think it's not the hard drive but the logic board.

Most importantly, I want to get all of my files off of it and transfer them to my new iMac. Not that worried about fixing the macbook at this point.

My question is: how (exactly) do I do this if the macbook won't start up at all? I've tried doing my own research online and found so many different (conflicting) responses. Some say I can use a cable to transfer the files between the 2 machines using Time Machine, others say that won't work if computer is not turned on. Another thing I read is to take the hard drive out and put it in a separate enclosure. And yet another response is that there are software programs that can extract the information.

Anyone out there know what the correct (or best) answer is? Just remember I am not an IT person by any means, just a regular girl :)

Thanks!
Jenn

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
If the macbook is not under warranty, you can find some very detailed step by step instructions on how to remove the macbook hard drive on iFixit.com

They have great guides. Once removed, you'll need an external enclosure, or at the very least a SATA to USB or SATA to Firewire cable to connect it to your new computer.

When (if) the drive mounts, you'll be able to use migration assistant to get documents, photos, music, applications, etc moved over. Or you can just copy them from the old drive to the new (though applications won't always work from a straight copy).

spacedrabbit

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4889

That link is how to use Migration Assistant once you actually take the drive out, put it into an enclosure, and plug it into the iMac. You specifically want the sub-heading called "Time Machine or Other Disk Migration"

*edit* It does not matter that the link is for Lion OS, it works basically the same from any OS

Sc00tr

macrumors regular
May 28, 2011
A SATA to USB cable would be the cheapest. You can find them for about $5. You don't need a full enclosure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.