How do you remove Speck case for rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amg2014, Mar 26, 2014.

1. amg2014, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014

amg2014 macrumors member

amg2014

Hello everyone again. I'm having trouble with removing the top portion of the Speck case for Retina Macbook Pros. I looked at one suggestion in another topic, which says to use a credit card to remove the case. I also looked at other suggestions, but with the top shell being tightly worn, I couldn't get one of the sides off. I tried other methods, but they don't seem to help. It didn't work for me because the retina version of the Speck case is different from the non-retina version. I need help getting this thing off because the top case feels stuck and wielded to the back of the screen. Also, when I took this laptop to get serviced for IR issues back in November, I saw the Mac Genius guy use a tool and was able to pry it off. Does anyone know this tool I could use? :confused: I almost broke my fingernail trying to get this off. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. If there are better alternatives to Speck cases, please suggest them to me. I could use some help.

2. Wishbrah macrumors regular

I used a credit card.

Very gently, I inserted the card between the case and the laptop...near the middle of each side. If you slide the card towards the corners (where the tabs are), you can pop off the tabs pretty easily.

Just go slow. It's not likely the plastic will scratch aluminum....but it is aluminum...so take care of it.

3. Bri in Mtl macrumors member

4. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Sloooow and steady. As mentioned use a credit card as a wedge if need be. The problem I have is getting 1 side of tabs off, then while working on the other side they pop back on it.

5. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

once you get one side off, slip a few sheets of paper between the case and the machine where the tabs are. That will prevent the tabs from reengaging the lid.