Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
BROOKLYN
This is a really basic question. I'm wondering how you repeat a certain # of bars. Say you've built up several tracks of loops and you would like all of the tracks to repeat over and over, how do you do this. I've hit the "repeat" button on the board and it gives me an extra line of space above the tracks but I can't figure out how to get it to repeat. I went to a demo at the Apple store yesterday and the guy made a yellow bar through that extra line but I can't figure it out. Should have asked the guy but one of you has to know. Thanks in advance for the help.

rk

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
You can loop regions so that they play repeatedly, and extend them to fill any amount of space in the timeline.

1.Move the pointer over the upper half of the right edge of the region. The pointer changes to a loop pointer (a vertical line and a circular arrow).

2.Drag the edge of the region as far to the right as you want it to keep playing. The region will loop repeatedly to that point.

Notice the "notches" that appear at the top and bottom of the region as you drag it. The notches show the beginning and end of each complete "loop" or repetition of the region.

You can resize a region, then loop it. When you loop a resized region, it loops from the beginning to the end to which you have resized it. If you add silence by lengthening a region, the silence will be included in each repetition when you loop it.

To record with a cycle region:

1.Click the Cycle button (the button with the curved arrows) in the transport controls to activate the cycle region. A yellow ruler appears under the beat ruler showing the cycle region.

The first time you turn on the cycle region, it extends from the first to the fifth measure. If you move the cycle region, it appears in its new position the next time you turn it on.

2.Drag the cycle region to the position in the timeline where you want your recording to begin and end. You can also drag in an empty part of the cycle region ruler to set the cycle region to a new position.

3.Select the track you want to record in.

4.Click the Record button (the red circular button) to start recording.

5.Play your instrument. As you record, the playhead moves from the start to the end of the cycle region, then repeats from the start point. You see the new region appear in the timeline.

6.When you are finished, click the Play button to stop recording.

7.When you are finished using the cycle region, click the Cycle button to turn it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.