How do you replace the screen...?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ariii, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

How do you replace the screen in an iBook G3 Clamshell? Are all of the screens compatible? And do you know any good places to find replacements?

2. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

I have never owned one....

I have been around the forums for a bit now. So I will take a stab at this one.

The clamies are a bit long in the tooth now. And while they are truly fun! ( I would love to get my hands on a graphite 466 for stinks and grins!) Unless you are collector, looking only to get this one back to specs for display, you are opening yourself to a money pit that is not worth investing in.

Screens come and go on eBay, if you are willing to look, again though. That is a machine that is limited by os 9, and is really not worth much more than a trip down memory lane. ( Which I will admit is a bit ironic, being I am typing this on a G4/Powerbook, running 10.4) But I digress. Like most of the stalwarts, sooner or later there comes a time when you have to take usability over reason.

~Drake

3. Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Thanks! I haven't ever seen one on eBay before, so I wasn't that sure. Actually, it's mostly for text editing/JavaScript/Python programming, and I've already used a G4 iBook until it got water damage from my sister ( :( ) so I decided for a little less money, I could afford to have less power.

4. Elbert C macrumors 6502

Installing iBook G3 Clamshell Display

There's a display here for a G3 Clamshell but I don't know if they are a reliable store.