Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marker227

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
I know you can just hit "restore" in iTunes and load your own IPSW file, but what do you do when iTunes prompts you on how to set it up?

Do you set it up as a "New iPhone", or do you hit "Restore from Backup"?

I was hoping I can just restore from "Old Backup" and then all my apps would go right back to the phone. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The reason why I'm restoring is that Safari crashes too often and I wanted to try and fix it.

I'm not upgrading to 2.1 only because I haven't heard from rave about it when jailbroken. And I've heard somethings just don't work well, like winterboard.

Anyway, what do you think?

DN7335

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I know you can just hit "restore" in iTunes and load your own IPSW file, but what do you do when iTunes prompts you on how to set it up?

Do you set it up as a "New iPhone", or do you hit "Restore from Backup"?

I was hoping I can just restore from "Old Backup" and then all my apps would go right back to the phone. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The reason why I'm restoring is that Safari crashes too often and I wanted to try and fix it.

I'm not upgrading to 2.1 only because I haven't heard from rave about it when jailbroken. And I've heard somethings just don't work well, like winterboard.

Anyway, what do you think?

Personally I've found its quicker to just set it up as a new phone. However, it depends on what is in your backup file. First off, the backups don't restore media, so you'll be doing that anyway (songs and videos). My contacts sync with Google so I can pull them down from the server whenever I need to update, and I sync my bookmarks with IE. Restores also don't do anything with all of your customizations from Cydia, Winterboard, etc so you'll be doing all that over again as well. Bottom line, all it restores (in my case) is SMS messages and maybe voicemails. I don't need any of those, so I just set up as new phone and sync, then all my apps are put back in place, contacts and bookmarks too.

One note, I do have some notes that I keep in YouNote, but before I restore I just back up the notes.db file using OpenSSH and then copy it back once I've gotten YouNote back installed.

marker227

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Thanks,

I'm doing that now because it kept crashing! Springboard is on the fritz.

marker227

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
I have another question...

I have multiple drives in my mac pro.

If drive 1 has itunes 8 on it and drive 2 has itunes 7 on it... If I ever had to restore could I go back to drive 2 and pwn the phone and then sync with drive 1's library from there on?

I don't know how to JB with itunes 8 yet and I was thinking this was a possibility because re-syncing to a new library doesn't erase your pwned firmware?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.