How do you reset keyboard backlight to factory default?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by washburn, Mar 17, 2011.

1. washburn macrumors 6502

2. seb-opp macrumors 6502

System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Tab

check the box for "Illuminate keyboard in low light conditions"

3. washburn thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, i tried that but it just turns it off and on...what is the value of the actual light intensity at default?

4. seb-opp macrumors 6502

Not sure about that but the F5 and F6 keys on your built in keyboard control the brightness, just hit F6 until it hits the maximum. The keyboard brightens and dims automatically according to ambient light, the F5 and F6 keys override this.

5. washburn thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah I was adjusting it using the F keys and then I realised I changed it from the default

6. seb-opp macrumors 6502

I think it returns to default (adjusting the keyboard light based on ambient light) after you wake it from sleep or reset it in the system prefs. On mine I don't really pay attention to the keyboard light, but it seems to be on when I need it and off when I don't.

Im not really sure of your circumstances, but I assume you're saying when you override the automatic setting with the F keys, then turn automatic back on in System prefs, the KB light doesn't turn back on. Try taking it to a dark room and see what happens, or put it to sleep then wake it up

7. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Just interested, why do you want to know what the factory keyboard illumination setting is?

8. washburn thread starter macrumors 6502

if you turn down the brightness using the F keys to the smallest and then turn off "illuminate keyboard...." and then turn it on again you'll see that it returns to the value you set with the F keys

9. washburn thread starter macrumors 6502

cos I like how it was

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

Turn off the lights in your room, be in pitch black, turn it on to the max, and you'll be at factory settings.

11. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

And now you can't get it back. I think its somewhere in the middle.