How do you reset the default Finder view preferences?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DramaLLama, Jul 24, 2013.

1. DramaLLama macrumors 6502

First of all what even are the original default settings for finder viewing options? (Sort by, Arrange by)

And second, HOW DO YOU SET DEFAULT FOR ALL FOLDERS!?! It's driving me crazy!

2. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

No idea. I'd imagine if you make a new folder somewhere it's settings are default.

You can't really do this in any easy way.

Once a folder has had settings stored this will have higher priority than the 'use as defaults' settings in finder view options (command + j with a folder open).

However if you go to root (/) you should be able to use this link to set every folder on your system to have the same view options and then adjust from there.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Only if it's in a folder that hasn't had its settings changed, in which case it shows you the factory settings. Good luck making that determination. I say this based on my understanding that new enclosed folders take on the characteristics of the enclosing folder.

Yep. That's why finding an "unspoiled" folder is difficult. You'd pretty much have to know the answer to the question to find the answer to the question.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The free app Onyx can reset all folders back to default for you.

I know all this is doing is running a Terminal command to delete the .DS_Store file in every folder, but I can't say that I know what that command is. At any rate, Onyx will do it for you.

[​IMG]

5. HaZMaTiC, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

HaZMaTiC macrumors newbie

Sorry for diggin' up an old thread, but I found this command when searching the same topic. I hope it helps.

find ./ -name ".DS_Store" -depth -exec rm {} \;