How do you Restore to a different iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Soundhound, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

My brother recently gave me his old iPhone 3Gs (nice guy that he is...) and I want to load it with the apps, music etc from my 3G. How do I do that?

What I've tried so far is connecting the 3Gs to my iMac where I have always synced up my iphone 3G. Under Summary there is an option to Restore, which says 'If you are experiencing problems with your iPhone, you can restore its original settings by clicking Restore.' But that will restore the factory settings, right? Isn't there a way to choose a particular Backup to Restore?

thanks!

2. draz macrumors 6502a

When you click Restore it will pretty much empty out the phone and bring it back with default settings and nothing on it. Once this process is finished there will be a drop down list of the different dates you can restore to. Which will then transfer all the apps, data, music, and everything else the previous phone had onto the existing phone.

Check the following directory:
    ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

If you see several directories then you will have several dates to choose from to restore to. If you only see one then you will only be able to restore to the most recent backup.

Also you can't restore to a previous iOS version, the phone must have the same or higher iOS version than the backup. For example if the previous phone had iOS 4.0.2, and your existing one had 4.0 then you can't restore until your existing phone has 4.0.2 or 4.1

Here is a nice read when you get sometime: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

3. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

what you need to do is on the left hand side of iTunes it has the name of your iphone. you need to right click there and then click restore from backup in the window that opens up. then find the backup from your 3g and thats all you have to do