How Do You Run Apps In Background

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnyiphone, Jul 23, 2008.

1. johnyiphone macrumors newbie

I'm using the AOL radio app and I'd like to check my email, contacts, calender, etc. while still listening to AOL radio..........when your in "ipod mode" it you can listen to music and do other things at the same time.......is there a way to do this with apps like AOL radio?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yes, just stare at your iPhone and it will eventually do it. :rolleyes:

No, there isn't currently.

3. aphexii macrumors 6502

Nope, you can't run third party apps in the background unfortunately. Apple is coming up with a workaround of sorts for text data based apps (IM, etc), where a server keeps the app active and pushes a notification to your phone when, say, you receive a new IM, at which point you load the app again.

But this functionality won't extend to other apps, like AOL Radio, at least for now. Your only option would be the iPod itself.

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Apple forbids developers from creating background applications at this time (and I don't see this changing in the foreseeable future).

5. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

One thought I had about this is a little flexibility from Apple to allow us a couple of docking slots where we could dock 1 or 2 applications. When in the dock these applications would be allowed to run in the background.

This would be good for things like AOL and Pandora, where I could move it to the dock slot and then when i run it it will keep running even when doing something else.

Perhaps limiting the number of programs that could do this to even 1, would help make it less problematic overall. Just a thought.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Good idea, you probably should submit it to
    apple.com/feedback