How do you run Bootcamp with Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by corry20, Apr 23, 2007.

1. corry20 macrumors regular

I am getting a new Macbook pro with vista installed it comes with Parallels but I want to run the Aero desktop.How do I install Bootcamp and run Aero?Can I do this while having parallels on my desktop?

2. schmintan macrumors regular

you cannot use vista aero via parallels. vista requires access to the graphics hardware, and when using parallels, it only gets access to a VM ( i think). to use aero, you need to install vista using boot camp.

3. corry20 thread starter macrumors regular

I have parallels on my macbook pro installed do I have to uninstall parallels and vista and start all over when I install bootcamp or can I just put bootcamp on?

4. schmintan macrumors regular

from reading on these forums, i believe you can install another copy of vista via boot camp, however the installation used in boot camp and the installation used in parallels cannot be the same. its a vista limitation in the current version of parallels

5. corry20 thread starter macrumors regular

So I would have to unistall parallels and vista and then put bootcamp and vista on.Is this correct.

6. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

You don't need to uninstall it. Just need to have not activated Vista on your Parallels partition yet.

7. corry20 thread starter macrumors regular

What happens when I am on 0SX and I want to go over to vista with parallels and I have bootcamp on my system are you saying It will not work because I can't activate 2.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Parallels can run Windows from a Bootcamp partition, but Bootcamp cannot run Windows from a Parallels virtual harddrive file. So the solution is to install Windows in a Bootcamp partition and point Parallels at that.

9. corry20 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh so I can have bootcamp and parallels on my computer.I am new at this thanks.

10. user13 macrumors regular

user13

It hasn't been said about the fact that Parallels has Bootcamp support.
    It means that you can have one copy of Windows for both Bootcamp and Parallels.
    In Vista this EULA has become much more strict. No one abides it, anyway

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sorry to revive an old thread, but is there anyway to do this AFTER you have activated?? i installed parallels the other day and im scared that if i start up the VM it will recognise it as different hardware and whatnot.

cheers :)

12. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

See other thread you posted same question in