Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OMGitsShan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
TinyUmbrella claims that it works on Windows XP, however unlike Vista/7 where you can right click and get the "Run as Administrator" option - Windows XP doesn't have that and as a result I keep getting the following error everytime I launch it:

Cannot Start TSS Service
DO NOT TRY RESTORING YOUR DEVICE!!!
TinyUmbrella MUST be run as an Administrator!

Anybody know how to get it to work properly on Windows XP? Most sites just have info for Windows 7.

OMGitsShan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
My account is an administrator one and I tried what jman420 mentioned (thanks) and it is in theory at least running that way, however TinyUmbrella keeps making that same error/popup when starting.

I have checked my HOSTS file and it is NOT set to "read only" and I myself have edited it many times.

I've been Googling this error for the last hour and it seems that lots of people who runs Window XP cannot get the program to write to the HOSTS file even if it not set to read only etc.

Can someone tell me what line it actually adds to the HOSTS file? Since the file is editable I could try adding the line manually to see if it works and if the error message then disappears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.