How do you run Windows XP & Mac OS on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdoc2b, Oct 25, 2008.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Hi.

I have the new MBP. I heard its possible to have both Windows XP and Mac OS running at the same time. I have some questions concerning this:

-Does this slow down your macbook pro?

-Will anything I save on Windows XP be accessible on Mac OS? (i.e. if I am chatting on Yahoo on Windows XP and someone sends me a photo, is it accessible on both XP and Mac OS, or just XP)?

-If I want to transfer something from my pen drive to the notebook, and only want it to appear on Windows XP and not in Mac OS, is that possible?

-Does the multi-touch functions on the trackpad still work if using Windows XP?

-How do I go about getting XP and installing/running it on my MBP simultaneously with Mac OS? (and is XP like a program I launch once I normally log into my Mac OS that I can open and close as I please)?

Thanks for your help!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Bootcamp will allow you to run Windows on the Mac, but it requires choosing one or the other at bootup. You can run Parallels or VMware to run an app or two, but that's not the same as having full blown Windows running.

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

To run Windows XP simultaneously with MacOS X you will need a virtualization software, the most popular ones are:

Parallels Desktop
    VMware Fusion

You can test them for free, after downloading them from their websites.

Also there is one out there that doesn't require a windows license and allows you to run some Windows apps, I don't remember the name.

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

5. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

6. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

I have the new MBP. I heard its possible to have both Windows XP and Mac OS running at the same time. I have some questions concerning this:

VMWare Fusion is the best emulator. It will allow you to run both OS's simultaneously. All the answers below pertain to using Fusion.

-Does this slow down your macbook pro?

It can since both OS's share the same CPU and memory. Generally, though you don't notice a slow down. It helps to have a sufficient amount of RAM. Really depends on which Windows flavor you decide to run. XP is the least resource intensive while Vista is a hog.

-Will anything I save on Windows XP be accessible on Mac OS? (i.e. if I am chatting on Yahoo on Windows XP and someone sends me a photo, is it accessible on both XP and Mac OS, or just XP)?

Yes.

-If I want to transfer something from my pen drive to the notebook, and only want it to appear on Windows XP and not in Mac OS, is that possible?

I believe so.

-Does the multi-touch functions on the trackpad still work if using Windows XP?

Not all of them. Three and four finger swiping has to be supported by the app. Programs such as multiclutch can help.

-How do I go about getting XP and installing/running it on my MBP simultaneously with Mac OS? (and is XP like a program I launch once I normally log into my Mac OS that I can open and close as I please)?

You install the emulator then install the OS. The OS installation is all automated and installs all the necessary drivers. Windows can run in a windowed environment or if you choose an app like IE7 can run like it's a regular Mac OS app. You don't see the windows environment at all unless you want to. Take a look below.

[​IMG]