How do you save and rename a doc in Pages?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Soundhound, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

How do you give a file a name and save it? All I can find are the features to email, share docs etc, thanks!

2. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

3. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

? I want to just save it. Give it a name and save it.

4. Ashwood11, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

At the opening window where all your docs appear select Edit, then select the title of your doc and change the title.

When you have a doc open, go to the menu bar and select tools, and open Help to learn how to use Pages.

5. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

It seems to me there's no save function as there is in an osx program. When You open a doc it's already saved,and any and all changes you make to it are instantly saved as well. Plus there are no folders or filing to speak of, al docs are just seen as icons in the documents window. Welcome to IOS I guess!

6. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Doc are saved automatically and then you add the name. You can create folders. Read the Help file.

7. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did. But then I read here that there is no functionality for creating folders.

8. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

they call that function 'export' which is what creates the static file

so, twice, is enough. good luck

9. waynep macrumors 6502

File -> Duplicate

Will allow you to make a copy of your file and give it another name when you "save" it.

10. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Yes the nomenclature and way of thinking about files is very different from what I'm used to. Appreciate the help!

----------

Once is plenty from you, pal. Other people are being helpful here. Your nasty attitude isn't needed. Don't visit this thread again. Go away.

11. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

did you even try an export?

that is what creates a static/frozen file.

the duplicate function creates another dynamic file

your op wasn't specific enough

12. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is all new to me. If you're going to be annoying, can't you do it somewhere else please?

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

danpass is a veteran member of this forum who only wants to help you. I dare say that you are the one being rude. What did your rudeness get you?

14. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

I dare say he was the one being rude. I asked a question about basic functionality that I didn't understand, and he got pissy when I didn't catch on right away. Other posters in this thread were able to isolate how I was misunderstanding the issue, and were courteous and helpful in showing me how it worked. They didn't find it necessary to be rude or patronizing. He did. Life's too short, you know? Who needs that kind of crap?

15. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

To the OP - sometimes it is just best to ignore some of the comments. Contained within the thread I think you now have the answer to your query, which was, after all, the point of your original post. From my point of view the thread is useful (certainly much more than all the "whoooaaa I've just bought a new iDevice" or "should I get a black or white phone" type posts). The file handling method employed on iOS devices is markedly different to that used on a conventional desktop, so your question is a valid one, and I hope you've managed to get your brain around how it works.

16. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Point taken. I ignored the first one, but the additional ones seemed to be spoiling for some kind of reaction. I should have ignored it, and will try to do just that in the future.

Yes it's started to become clear how iOS differs from OSX in handling files. It's very different! I'm keen to see what happens as iCloud is introduced. I've been moving toward using DropBox recently, and am finding it great to be able to access certain docs on multiple devices. As I understand it, DropBox is much closer to iDisk, but for various reasons I'm winding up using it differently: to be able to access docs on multiple devices, as opposed to iDisk, which I've used extensively over the years, but mostly as a way to share materials with others.

Thanks again, sorry for the unpleasantness, I'll use my internal 'ignore' button more in the future. :)

17. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

You have absolutely nothing to apologise for. I'm using dropbox as well, which seems to be slightly easier to use than iDisk. I'll be interested to see what happens when iCloud actually gets off the ground - I think it's going to be a massive part of Apple's post - pc world takeover.

18. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty psyched about it. I wonder what if anything will replace iDisk? Dropbox really takes care of it for me, but I'm wondering what Apple will do there? The way the iCloud is described so far, it seems like the saving of documents, will be done 'within' the various apps. As in, create/revise etc a file in Pages, and it will automatically be updated on all your other devices. But how about 'legacy' documents, the thousands upon thousands of docs I've created on my macs up to this point, my library of work?

I saw recently that Apple tried to buy Dropbox, and they turned Apple down. I can't remember where I saw the report, but if it's true, it could suggest that Apple's wanting to have that kind of functionality in iCloud. Maybe it'll be something they add down the road a bit...?